Author Topic: Kawasaki LTD Seat cover? IMAGE ENTERPRISES!  (Read 12309 times)

ChaChi

Kawasaki LTD Seat cover? IMAGE ENTERPRISES!
« on: October 27, 2012, 10:22:49 AM »
Hey guys

I love the new forum, looks great! Did everyone lose their login tho?

Anyway, I am in dire need of a nice seat cover for my LTD as my original is finally too far gone to repair... I have been looking at these Tskinz ones

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1980-1982-KAWASAKI-LTD-4-6-SNOWMOBILE-SEAT-COVER-NEW-/150547866251?pt=Snowmobile_Parts_Accessories&hash=item230d5a228b... Has anyone bought this one? Any info on it at all, comments?

I am wondering if anyone knows if this pleated one would fit an LTD?
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/78-82-KAWASAKI-INVADER-INTRUDER-PLEATED-SEAT-COVER-NEW-/150787856399?pt=Snowmobile_Parts_Accessories&hash=item231ba8180f

I really wanted to keep the original look because I love that OEM seat cover, but it seems that no one has NOS ones (I know dreaming) and to get someone to make one is beyond my budget....

I appreciate any replies!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:28:05 AM by ChaChi »

jimvw57

Re: Kawasaki LTD Seat cover? TSKINZ?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 12:45:44 AM »
The seat that Tskinz uses in his picture is bolted to my 1980 4/6. It looks great after 2 years of sitting outside (well ,with a cover on it anyhow) and it fits perfectly. He used my seat as a pattern and asked if he could use pictures on Ebay. How could I say no!! It works fine in the colder weather, no cracks or split seams . He does a great job!!

ChaChi

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 12:49:22 PM »
Thanks for the reply Jim, makes me feel good about getting it! I'll mention you were the deciding factor in getting it! :)

Did you have any trouble stapling to the old plastic seat base? I have renforced mine with west system fibreglass resin and 1/4 inch plywood... I just know the plastic isn't as soft as it once was... I maybe better off to pre drill rivet it on?

At least I made the mounting system a lot nicer! With some hex bolts and nuts that are fibreglassed onto the seat base... I'm actually glad I had a clamp break under the seat because sooner or later that seat would have flew right off the back!!!

Cheers

jimvw57

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 10:48:25 PM »
I used a hand stapler on the first cover I did and it was tough to get through the plastic, a little heat from a hair dryer helps. The second one, I used an air powered stapler and once I got the pressure right, it was much easier.  Might be tough with fiberglas on there. Staples don't go through fiberglas too well. If you use rivets or screws, you might want to make some straps or use oversize washers to give them more grip on the fabric.   Take your time and make sure the cover is warmed up good before you start.

A little extra foam in there never hurts too..

gixxer6

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 08:56:52 AM »
I never have had good luck installing seat covers.  I've tried manual staplers, and an electric one without success.  I have my local upholstry shop install my covers.  They don't charge much, and they have a steamer that helps install/stretch the covers without wrinkles.  And they have staplers that will go into the plastic (barely!). 

ChaChi

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 01:48:32 PM »
Thank you for the replies guys!... I have a heat gun we use for removing some types of flooring I will make sure everything is warm and see if the electric stapler works...

I just ordered from TSkinZ last night and today I finally get a reply from Image enterprises saying there replacement covers looks just like the factory kawasaki ones... They're 185$ though....

Any thoughts? I see TSkinZ says sales are final and I h8 doing that to them because I did commit to buy, but I so had my heart set on the quilted factory look. Just couldn't afford the 300 bucks I was quoted to make a custom cover like the factory one!...

Ahh well if this is the extent of my problems for the week, I'm happy! lol

jimvw57

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 09:38:57 AM »
Get what you want. If you want the factory look, then go with Image. The Tskinz one is smooth, but for a daily rider, I didn't mind. You are the one paying for it so you can choose what you want.

The first cover I did on my 1980 340 Invader was from Image and it looked great, lasted a long time, and probably still looks great (sold the sled) I had it for about 7 years with the Image cover on it.  Parked outside with a cover on the sled.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 09:41:14 AM by jimvw57 »

ChaChi

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 10:27:35 AM »
The T skinz guy was great about refunding the money and cancelling the order because it hadn't shipped and I was on it so quick on cancelling!

Image is custom making a quilted cover for my 81 LTD. He told me they make covers in house! The guy was awesome to deal with on the phone, I've bought LTD pistons from him in the past and it sounds like he will continue to be one of the only suppliers of such things!

Really appreciate all the replies guys! When I get the cover I will be sure to finish the thread with a picture of the seat!

Cheers

Joel

Re: Kawasaki LTD Seat cover? IMAGE ENTERPRISES!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 05:49:11 PM »
Please put up some pics when you get the cover on.
79 Drifter 440, 79 Invader 440,82 Intruder,81 LTD, 82 LTD x2, 82 GT Prototype,82 Interceptor #519

sappony

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 04:15:42 PM »
Guys i have the ltd and am having the same issues, a close friend of mine does custom work. I'm taking my seat to her to see if she can handle it. I am hoping this will give us another avenue to have seats for the ltd with the original look.

ChaChi

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 05:12:44 PM »
Sounds good, please post up a picture for us and I will do the same!

sappony

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2012, 12:22:27 PM »
i got a  and new cover for the ltd from east coast upholstery , but be warned i couldnt get through by phone and had no email response,I place the order on the weekend and then tried to contact during the week them to confirm the order because i got no response. I had to call pay pal and open a claim which i hated to do, once i did that, they got a response and they sent my cover. iys totally plain with no padding so now i have to get to my friend and see what she says....

ChaChi

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2012, 03:27:34 PM »
Mine was just shipped yesterday because image had to make it, I should see it sometime this coming week I hope!

Pictures to come!

ChaChi

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »
Here are the pictures as promised, very impressed with the cover! It is nicer then the factory one in several ways. It isn't quite as black as the original however which would be my only complaint...

Very good looking, strong, and more comfortable then factory!

I did however break a trunk loop and need to rethink how it mounts, hence why it's open slightly!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:52:52 AM by ChaChi »

ChaChi

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 09:47:49 AM »
One more!

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:51:48 AM by ChaChi »