Author Topic: Interceptor Gearing  (Read 4236 times)

thomy

Interceptor Gearing
« on: July 16, 2013, 07:38:11 PM »
Does anybody have the gearing chart for the Interceptor they could post? I'm going to be running one in ovals and GP and I only have a gear charts for Invaders and Intruders. Actually, it is partly Interceptor (engine, seat, track, and Tunnel), partly Invader (belly pan) and partly 1980 LTD (hood, bulkhead, radiator, and chain case). Haven't decided on the suspension yet. I can use anything 1985 and older.

I know some of you are purists but this Interceptor was badly wreaked and damn few Interceptors made it to Alaska. I also believe that Kawasaki has been very under represented in racing up here. As in I've only seen one at any races here in over thirty years.

I also saved the engine from a wreaked 1981 LTD because it was possibly the fastest stock leaf springer I'd ever ridden. It must have been made on a Wednesday. My SRX's and Centurion were very close. I saved that engine for a future racing project for twenty-three years and now I'm building three racers. It was going to be just one but Kawis kept showing up when I put the word out that I was looking for some. I tend to get carried away from time to time.

Thom

JosephNiemi

Re: Interceptor Gearing
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 10:52:01 PM »
kawis are under represented in racing here too.  do what it takes to get one out there,  i say!
Interceptor #453
Interceptor #575
'78 Invader 440 #679

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 07:31:34 PM »
  I do have the gearing chart, but may take some time to get pictures posted on here.  I will tell you that the stock gearing 1.68  could easily see a taller ratio without loosing acceleration.  I know running ovals may be different depending on the "straights/rpm" but I think I had used a 1.59 ratio and the sled still pulled the skis at 30 mph or so/with traction.
Torys Vintage Sleds

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 07:37:27 PM »
  Sorry...  I hadn't noticed the previous posting chart.   So,  the 1.55 ratio was the setup I tried.  This was a stock engine and pulled well.  Might be worth a try for your setup.
Torys Vintage Sleds

thomy

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 02:01:21 PM »
Good to know what standard gearing is. What are you using for gearing on your modified Interceptor, Tory? What is your wide open speed? I use 13 wide top gears so I can use the 13 wide chain for more strength. You just have to shim the lower sprocket to match and use a smaller spacer behind the top sprocket.

Thom

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 02:02:18 PM »
  The modified Ceptor shifts @ 9200 +/- 100.  Obviously, this is not the "sweet spot" for a stock motor.  I am running the stock gearing at present.  I haven't purchased a good tach "yet" but, looking at what we call the "dream-o-meter" and stock rpm gauge on a lake last winter...   I hit 100-105 within that RPM range.  Honestly, if you are looking for top end...  gear taller than stock.  Personally, I'd rather hold the skis and run out of speed at maybe 80 mph or so...  I'd try the stock 440 Invader gearing (1.89) if that is the case.  What are you running for primary calibration? Traction?  If you run  a 1.89 ratio you better have good pics and no shortage of them.  Ever drive a big block 68'Road Runner on bias ply??  Case and point.
Torys Vintage Sleds

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »
  Ok Thom...  this might help you make a gearing decision...  I posted a Ceptor on my site that won the local drags this past winter in 0-570cc class.  It was running the stock gear ratio, stock (rebuilt motor by Flannery), Kawi primary and secondary clutches w/stock Ceptor weight/spring setup (rebuilt), 96 carbide .875 woodies, 220 lb rider.  Running 660 ft. (1/8 mile) radar 74.2 mph.  Some spectators commented that the skis "looked like" they were barely touching the snow at the finish.  She still had plenty more.  You don't get "real world" examples like that much anymore.  Hope this helps.
Torys Vintage Sleds

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 05:43:14 PM »
  Correction...  this was for 500ft.  sorry.
Torys Vintage Sleds