Author Topic: Invader problems  (Read 21689 times)

rminier

Re: Invader problems
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2016, 03:36:29 PM »
 Hmmmm, that's a bit unusual. I wonder if the fact you had the cylinder injection lines disconnected it allowed the system to "vent" ever so slightly over a years time.
 I assume your oil injection tank has drained to the point of being virtually empty?
 Those check valves in the banjo fitting are pretty effective with fluid (oil) against them, but they're not absolutely perfect.
 If some air pressure could leak past the 2 check valves you had disconnected, I could see how the oil might have siphoned out of the oil tank.
 I would really not worry too much if that is what happened. Get the engine re-done and hook everything back up, and the oil injection will probably be fine.
 Those banjo fittings, with their check valves, would bear watching, but chances are they may be OK.
 A curious clue you mentioned was that one cylinder injection line was empty.....air fed backwards toward the pump.....maybe.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 03:41:14 PM by rminier »
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2016, 07:36:27 AM »
I have read someplace that compressed air on a banjo fitting is not a good thing.

440RX

« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2016, 05:52:22 PM »
are the banjo check valves available anywhere?

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2016, 08:15:56 AM »
Oil system Banjo: Same as Banjo for the 86 Polaris Indy 400. Polaris Part # 3083894  From the "parts interchange" list.

440RX

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2016, 09:16:26 AM »
Thanks for the part #. Just ordered 3 new ones

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2016, 07:39:21 AM »
Thanks for the part #. Just ordered 3 new ones

Be sure to let us know if they really are the correct ones.

440RX

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2016, 12:35:06 PM »
well not having much luck yet. >:( . Was sent wrong pistons(LTD's). hopefully will have right one on Saturday. Check valve package came in mail today.I opened and received crank seals instead. I am beginning to wonder if i am actually supposed to fix this.

440RX

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2016, 07:14:52 PM »
Received the right pistons and started putting together !!! The cylinders are sleeved .020 over . I had to hone the cylinders out some with my stiff back hone,piston clearance was way to tight for me. I have them now at .003 -.0035 clearance and ring gap at .012 - .013 trying to keep it on the looser side of tolerance.Does any one know what the squish clearance should be . I have a set of 80'LTD  and a set of liquifire head gaskets. The liquifire  gaskets are .004 thinner. I could be wrong but aren't the Liquifire heads different than the Invader with a bigger volume in combustion chamber. Is the squish band cut different than the Invader heads and the thinner gaskets are used for proper clearance. Are the LTD gaskets thicker than the standard Invader Gaskets? Any Recommendations.

I did receive some new Polaris Check Valves and they are about identical to The Kawi's

mswyka

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2016, 08:22:06 PM »
I like the 4/6 head gasket better than the stock invader.  We have a 440 Invader that was sleeved and could not get it to seal until we used the 4/6 gaskets.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

gixxer6

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2016, 06:39:42 AM »
+1 for the 4/6 gaskets.  IMO they are the best available, even better than the OEM Liquifire gaskets. 

I think that the squish was supposed to be .070", but I could be remembering wrong.  Wait for Interceptor398 to respond, he knows what it should be! 

440RX

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2016, 03:27:30 PM »
Finished engine today, Used the 4/6 head gaskets. Did pressure test at 10 lbs air. HELD PERFECT!!! . Going back in sled and going to check carbs and hopefully fire up this weekend. Just wish there was some snow to try out.

440RX

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2016, 03:33:04 PM »
Just thought, hopefully I didn't mess up the check valves. by feeding air through like I did .See  previous picture .I fed line into each other and 1 from impulse to other check valve.

440RX

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2016, 05:33:31 PM »
 I fired up Invader today seem to run good .Just idling, I revved up a couple times . I have a couple gal. 32 to 1 mix in tank for break in. I have clear line from oil pump to cylinder check valve and am seeing some air bubbles I did let idle with pump at max open for a couple minutes and still see a couple. I Thought I had all the air out of the line from the tank,I guess I will look a little closer tomorrow. After shutting down I turned engine over by rotating clutch by hand and could feel something not right ( a kind of scraping sound/feel) I thought  O no not again.I pulled exhaust and looked inside cylinders and felt the areas  that got messed up in the previous cylinders and everything looks great. After wiggling clutch back and forth it seems to be coming from the flywheel area only in one position (I could hear it better in that area with my Stethoscopes ). I guess I better pull rewind tomorrow also

Checkmarks

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2016, 11:25:29 PM »
Hang in there and keep wrenching.  There is no better feeling wind freezing your eyelids open. 

Magnets may have picked up some metal debris when assembling.  Sucks to take out the flywheel with the motor in the machine (bad).  Worst case, and don't bother with a snivel, two hours and you can have the motor out and back in confirming nothing hiding under the flywheel.  Experience speaking.  It is the Friday night two beers down, going mobiling in the morning, then let the curses fly.

440RX

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2016, 05:48:55 PM »
To update, I pulled flywheel and found the flywheel rubbing 1 side of the lighting coil. Screw was a little loose and allowed coil to move just enough to rub. Loosened coil pushed up and re tightened. ALL GOOD !!! Runs great. Putting away  until next winter. Hopefully we get good snow for 2016-2017 winter. Thanks for everyone's help