Author Topic: invader oil pump in an intruder???  (Read 6620 times)

heiner921

invader oil pump in an intruder???
« on: February 24, 2015, 08:20:49 PM »
Can i put an oil pump from an invader in an intruder??  I have a good one from an invader and the one in my intruder took a crap. This weekend is a big vintage ride... anyone you can help that is greatly appreciated.  Also what ports do I need and what do I plug because I believe the invader one has 3 while the intruder has only 2

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: invader oil pump in an intruder???
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 08:51:21 PM »
Should be the same thing.  Post some pictures of the ride!

Ha!  Guess I should have looked first.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:12:59 PM by Interceptor398 »

heiner921

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 05:34:26 AM »
Invader has more ports and the water pump wants on it as well

mswyka

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 06:40:39 AM »
We have one Intruder block that has an Invader crank and oil pump.  I would say that after two seasons of intermittent running, while it seems to work OK, the jury is still out.  If there is any way you can keep the system original that should be your first choice since you need to find some place to direct the third oil port.

You say your oil pump took a crap.  What specifically happened and what specific symptoms do you see?
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

heiner921

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 07:04:53 AM »
Well come to find out the invader one doesn't pump out.....I burnt my sled uo the other day... mag side melted down.. spark plug melted (see pic).. also piston must of broke.. can rotate motor so far then it dead locks... upon inspection I saw oil lines from pump to cylinders were not full of oil..  too pump out.. put it on a drill to see if it would pump oil.  When at what is considered at idle, oil barely comes out. At what would be WOT, oil just runs over the edge. Never really "pumps" the oil. My buddy has an invader.. He said the oil should somewhat shoot out vs what mine does.... I have 4 oil pumps.. 2 do this exact thing... 1 doesn't even pump...1 is locked up and won't even spin.... looking for a solution fast! Big vintage ride this weekend

mswyka

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 12:21:48 PM »
There might be an oil problem, but the one plug looks like an air leak problem. Since you said mag side, I am guessing failed crank seal.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 02:51:06 PM »
Filter between your injection tank and pump?  Install a new inline filter would be the first thing I'd do (cheap).  Pretty easy to get crap in the inj. tank.
Torys Vintage Sleds

heiner921

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 04:16:40 PM »
I don't even have a filter inline... wasn't one when I got the sled so I didn't know there was 1.... just a regular inline fuel filter will work?

rminier

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 04:42:23 PM »
  I don't think that the Kawis had them from the factory, but lots of other manufacturers do use them...they're a good idea. I don't know if a regular fuel filter would work....might be too fine a mesh and could restrict oil flow.
 I use the Dennis Kirk site (among others) for lots of stuff. If you go to their site, look at part # 18-18 or 18-0108. I prefer the 18-0108. I know the 18-18 says it's for 3/16 hose, but it fits perfectly in 7/32 or 1/4 inch hose.
  A third one they have listed, part 18-21, says it's for 1/4 inch tubing, but it's HUGE....a garden hose would fit it. :D
  They're only 3 bucks...plus shipping. If you're close to a motorsports dealer, they will have them, too.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 04:54:31 PM by rminier »
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

mswyka

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 05:52:13 PM »
Reading between the lines, it seems like it might be time to take a step back.  From what has been said I do not think that you have a oil pump problem.  Drills don't generally run at the same RPM as these engines, and even if they did, we have to put the rate of oil consumption in context.  The manual provides the approach to measure oil output from the pump.  But with that said, unless the pump is:
A.  physically broken - not likely because it is filled with oil
B.  clogged - possible, but again unlikely
Then it is probably workign properly.  Failure in these pumps comes from too much oil bypassing the pump.  So if the engine was running and not smoking excessively, it was probably within tolerance.  We have a couple of threads on the forum related to oil pump and oil pump operation.

The failure on the plug in the photo is a classic example of one cylinder burning lean.  And if I am reading this correctly and it is the mag side then the cause of this problem is very likely failure of the mag side crank seal and the engine needs to be torn down and the seals replaced.

gixxer6

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 06:25:10 PM »
I agree with Mark.  Sounds like a bad crank seal or carb boot.  Lack of oil won't usually melt aluminum. 

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 06:40:41 PM »

Any engine I have seen damaged from lack of oil had nothing melted.

That engine should be torn completely apart, all the bearings check and cleaned. Cylinder checked for scoring ( I would think with a spark plug looking like that the cylinder will be scored). Hopefully the melted aluminum hasn't already damaged some crank bearings.
 When everything is checked and cleaned. Assemble the engine. Pressure check the engine!! Very important step! and you will be good to go.
 I have learned the hard way that missing any of these steps will result in being able to repeat all the steps
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

heiner921

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2015, 05:48:48 PM »
I have another good motor I'm going to put in and hopefully make it through the weekend