Author Topic: fly wheel removal  (Read 5036 times)

oldsledder50

fly wheel removal
« on: March 28, 2013, 07:42:43 AM »
 Can a person use heat to remove the flywheel without damaging the stator or something else. I have tried with the puller and it is extremely tight and now I have been spraying the shaft with penetrating oil and leaving it sit while I search for stronger bolts for the puller. I tried putting as much pressure as I dared on the puller and giving it a good smack with a hammer and still nothing. If any of you guys have any tip or tricks they would be much appreciated. THANK YOU.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: fly wheel removal
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 08:05:59 AM »
Not to long ago I read of using water and letting it freeze to pop off a clutch.  Put the water in and use a bolt to trap the water but be aware that they come off with some force.  Never tried it , just read of it.

Checkmarks

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 10:27:37 AM »
Heat will not help.  Water/oil trick for clutches. 

Flywheel.  Use grade 8.  Align puller square.  Put the pressure on and wait a day.  Put more pressure on and wait a day.  Continue until the bolts break.   Tap and die to the next larger sized bolt grade 8.   Use the same procedure just mentioned.  When the puller breaks craft up your own puller functionally stronger.

Still unable to get it off.  Concede, get a beer and buy another lower unit. 

jimvw57

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 11:41:35 AM »
Flywheels are made from aluminum which has a tendency to dissipate heat well. also it does not change color as it warms up. steel will glow cherry red but aluminum just melts with no warning.  it will damage the components under the flywheel and the magnets in the flywheel can be affected.

Make sure you are using grade 8 bolts, tighten it down as tight as possible, use a dead blow hammer and give the center bolt a whack. That has worked for me on some stubborn flywheels.

kawhead

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 12:11:41 PM »
make sure puller is square WHEN ITS TIGHT, makes a big difference.

gixxer6

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2013, 03:48:15 PM »
Flywheel hubs are made of steel....Otherwise the threads wouldn't stand a chance! 

mswyka

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 04:14:52 PM »
Once you get the puller in place and tight, give the end of the puller shaft a good strong whack with a lump hammer right down the center axis of  the crankshaft.  That should be enough energy to make the flywheel jump off.  Don't swing the hammer gingerly, it will not work.  It needs a good sharp rap - not a killer blow that will send the engine flying, just a good sharp rap with authority.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Lloyd (ljm)

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 04:37:47 PM »
I'm sure the whole flywheel is steel.

I know some don't think you should use impact wrenches. But I have had good luck using an impact  wrench on the puller
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

jimvw57

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 01:04:15 AM »
My bad, the flywheel is indeed steel, but underneath where the magnets are is some sort of plastic. It can be cut into with a knife. My guess is heat could melt it and mess up the magnets. The hub is steel also where the 3 bolts go in to. Last one I removed, I used an impact and still had to use the 3lb hammer to give it a whack before it popped off.

I probably need a bigger air compressor...

oldsledder50

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 08:14:46 AM »
 I have tried most of what you guys suggested, I have been using a harmonic balancer puller and that may be a problem and I could only find grade five bolts so I have had to order grade 8 bolts and when they come I will give it another try, if that don't work I will buy a proper flywheel puller and give that a shot. Thanks for all your help.

jimvw57

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 11:02:29 AM »
Been using a balancer/steering wheel puller for years. has always done the trick. you do want to use the grade 8 bolts and some heavy duty washers.

oldsledder50

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 10:30:52 AM »
Thanks for all your help guys, I made washers out of 1/4" plate, soaked shaft with nut cracker an amazing penetrant, put the pressure to it and left it for a day, the next morning added more penetrant, tightened the puller a little more and wa la of she popped, seals are changed back together and running. Thanks again I love this sight. 
  ps. I did use a 1/2" Impact wrench.