Author Topic: Suspension locked!!  (Read 4485 times)

cadee

Suspension locked!!
« on: February 02, 2014, 02:53:35 PM »
The darn suspension is locked on my 81 Invader. What I mean is that it is "locked" in a position so that the sled is angled "down" towards the rear, if you are looking at it from the side.
This used to happen from time to time when I was riding, the last few years...I havent ridden it this year. When it would happen I would just get off the sled, pick up the rear grab bar and bounce it a couple of times and it would return to the normal ride height. I have tried that now but it wont budge.
So.. what do i have to do guys?
Thanks.
Cadee.

Joel

Re: Suspension locked!!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 03:04:57 PM »
Have you disassembled and lubed the suspension shafts recently? Good practice to do every couple years. Most likely though the shock needs to be replaced.
79 Drifter 440, 79 Invader 440,82 Intruder,81 LTD, 82 LTD x2, 82 GT Prototype,82 Interceptor #519

cadee

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 03:27:16 PM »
How do I go about disassembling the suspension shafts and which ones are they exactly?
How do I take off the shock?
Thanks Joel for the quick reply.

jimvw57

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 06:01:45 PM »
sounds like you may have some corroded shafts, or maybe a frozen shock. Best bet would be to get it inside and warm it up (frozen shock) Then pull the front and rear cross shafts, clean them up and lubricate them completely. It does happen that they get bent an then you have a problem.

Another possibility is the brackets that attach the shafts to the suspension are broken.

Joel

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 06:07:00 PM »
It would be best to pull your suspension skid out for service and inspection. Loosen tension on track, release suspension springs front and rear on tunnel, then there are 2 bolts on either side of the tunnel front and rear, remove bolts. Your skid should be ready to weasel out for inspection and service. Joel
79 Drifter 440, 79 Invader 440,82 Intruder,81 LTD, 82 LTD x2, 82 GT Prototype,82 Interceptor #519

cadee

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 07:21:44 PM »
Ok how do i loosen tension on th track and...how do i release the suspension springs front and rear?
Thannks for all the help guys!

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 07:32:28 AM »
To loosen the track there are 2 bolts at the rear of the suspension. Look thru the track windows to get at them and a little penetrating oil can be a big help.  The springs can be a little hard to deal with if you don't have a spring tool but I have used a socket wrench with a deep socket just a little bigger in size than the spring end to get by.

kawhead

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2014, 09:17:45 AM »
when you remove the 4 suspension mounting bolts break them all loose before removing any, that way if a shaft starts turning you can snug the other side to work the bolt loose....i useually don't unhook the springs, with bolts out i tip the sled on its side, as the suspension falls out the unhook themselves, be careful , i've got a nice scar on my wrist from a ltd rear spring... ???

cadee

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 02:37:05 PM »
Thanks everyone, i got it out today and lubed everything i could.

Tin-man

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 09:57:46 AM »
Thanks everyone, i got it out today and lubed everything i could.

I would recommend replacing the damper and spring. Specially if it is the original. I had issues with mine bottoming out, and not returning to the "no load" ride height. I found a used skid with a Kimpex coil over damper and spring. I installed this last night, and I highly recommend the coil over shocks.

cadee

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 05:10:08 PM »
Tin-Man, what do you mean by the "dampner"? The shock i have on it is about 8 years old but it only has about 100 miles on it. It was an aftermarket one that had the spring over the shock.
When i took out the suspension i noticed that the rear "cross shaft" if thats what it is called, the one that bolts on either side of the tunnel, was slightly bent in the middle. Could this also be contributng to the "bottoming out" problem i am having?
If so, any remidies for this?
Thanks everyone for all of the answers so far...
Cadee.

gixxer6

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 05:22:04 PM »
81 Invaders came with the Vari-Ride suspension.  IF yours still has the original skid, it shouldn't have a coil over the shock.  This could be part of your problem?

jimvw57

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 07:50:37 AM »
The vari-ride has springs on all 4 corners, the standard suspension only has them in the front, and a coil spring on the shock.