Author Topic: oil pump synchronization  (Read 1088 times)

whitley1983

oil pump synchronization
« on: February 28, 2021, 10:03:05 AM »
Hello all, so I recently tore a running invader all the way down to the bare tunnel. All I did to the engine was replace the crank seals on the motor because it had good equal compression and ran well before hand. Now I am at the point of getting ready to fire it up and the only thing holding me back is synchronizing the oil pump with the carbs which I know is extremely important. From the shop manual is says to loosen the idle stop screws so that both throttle slides bottom out, then push the bell crank until it contacts the stop pin, then adjust the LH carb throttle cable so that all the slack is removed and the slide starts to lift as soon as the throttle lever on the handlebar is advanced, then loosen the locknuts on the oil pump cable and remove all the slack. It says adjustment is correct when the bell crank on the oil pump and the throttle slide on the LH carb move simultaneously, and then to adjust the RH carb to match the LH carb. Can someone explain this to me like I'm a child? I started to do this last night and one of the biggest questions I have is how tight is the cable on the oil pump when you remove all the slack? I put in new cables and I adjusted the stop nuts as far as they go and the cable isn't tight but when I engage the lever on the handlebar it does move immediately, I'm just concerned maybe the cable is too long and I need to add some spacers in between the stop nuts to get the cable tighter. Also at full throttle should the bell crank be pulled all the way toward the back of the sled? when I have it engaged to full throttle I am able to move the bell crank more towards the back of the sled? Help please! Was really hoping to hear it run today!
1980 440 Drifter, 1978 440 Invader

whitley1983

Re: oil pump synchronization
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 10:22:27 AM »
Also here are some before and after pictures.

mswyka

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 10:48:40 AM »
I will add my 2 cents.

The carb slides should move as soon as you touch the throttle.   Once they are set, adjust oil pump so oil advance starts to move at the same time as the carb slides start to move.  I have never seen the oil cable "taught" but so long as the carbs and the pump go together you should be good.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

whitley1983

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 04:31:12 PM »
Should the bell crank go all the way back when the throttle is in wide open? With mine adjusted as far as I can go there’s still play in it where you can push it more open.

mswyka

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2021, 06:02:33 PM »
Should the bell crank go all the way back when the throttle is in wide open? With mine adjusted as far as I can go there’s still play in it where you can push it more open.

I would need to double check on one of our sleds to be sure but I don't think that the bell crank needs to go as far as it can go to be correct.  I just re-read the manual and it talks about the stop pin which would be on the low end.  It does not address the position on the high end.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

gixxer6

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2021, 12:11:44 PM »
You should have just a little slack in all 3 cables.  If any of them are tight, you will have problems.  The important things are that all 3 start to move at the exact same time.  And that the oil injection be touching the stopper pin with no throttle applied.