Author Topic: KAWASAKI HAT TRICK  (Read 1050 times)

Rollingmenace

KAWASAKI HAT TRICK
« on: October 25, 2020, 05:20:33 PM »
Well I went and did it... decided to throw my hat in the ring with some vintage oval racing.. as some of you know I picked up a intruder to run in the Stock FC class..  I’m waist deep in the rebuild of that.... and me being the person I am I went all in....
Picked up these two wonderful specimens... the plan is to eventually build a 340 shark tribute sled and run it in a mod 340 class.....
78 and an 80 invader 340’s  the plan is to strip the 78 and use that as a base to build the mod ice racer.. motor is stuck as well as the ski spindles. But otherwise it’s all there. Figured I’m going to start with a bare chassis and work from there...
80 starts and runs actually drove it on to the trailer.... although after its 800 mile journey wanted nothing to do with running here.. it set for about a week and I pulled cord and it fired on Friday...

NOW THE FUN PART.. was driving home on the interstate about 10 at night with these bad ladies on my trailer and this car passed me the guy shot me an odd look and then got in front of me and slowed where I eventually passed him.... He followed me down the interstate until I had to get off for gas , he followed me into the gas station.. when I got out to pump he said hi and that he seen my sleds on the trailer and had to talk to me . He used to love the old kawi sleds and hasn’t seen any around in ages.. he proceeds to tell me he has a 79  invader 340 that has been sitting and offered to sell it to me for cheap after I explained what I was going to do with them.. the kicker is he lives 45 min away from me.. I took his number and am still kicking around the idea lol... although the wife may kill me ....

sprocket

Re: KAWASAKI HAT TRICK
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 06:12:11 PM »
My question is are you going to
Make the bulk head out of aluminum ? Because the sharks were I saw a few “sharks” that people put together with the steel bulk head sad calling it that because to make it more original you need to male it out of aluminum.

Rollingmenace

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 06:39:47 PM »
Sprocket....
good question.. I’m not 100% sure i will fab a new bulkhead or not.. I’m pretty skilled with steel fab but still new with aluminum...still kinda in the planning stages..  right now I’m just focusing on stripping everything down and getting it stored while I’m finishing the intruder for this race season.. 
the plan is at a minimum put this together as a tribute . As opposed to a tru clone like yours. But It will have the “shark” look I plan on doing a dash and aluminum fuel tank as well as building a mold and trying to reproduce the hood to best of my ability . I have made several fiberglass RC racing boat hulls off molds so I’ll just have to see how this goes.
I really like what you have done to yours and may have some questions about some of the build.. but if the fact I call is a “shark”  offends you I get it........

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 08:20:28 PM »
Most of us have come home with something we knew would get us in trouble.  Once the healing has had some time things are OK.  Good Luck!!