Author Topic: Interceptor found on CT Craigslist  (Read 7101 times)

mswyka

Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Lloyd (ljm)

Re: Interceptor found on CT Craigslist
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 06:34:01 AM »

It's a wonder that hasn't been snapped up.  Looks like it is decent shape
77 SST
78 Intruder
79 340 Invader
80 440 Invader
80 Drifter (bought new)
80 LTD 4/6    X2

Several Deeres

DougKauer

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 10:56:59 AM »
I went and looked at this sled last year.  It has a big crack down the center of the belly pan and if you look at the left side of the tunnel it is bent up a little, plus the gas gap is wrong. Seat is mint and most everything else looks very good, but probably will need new crankseals, because of it seating for more than 15 years. I offered the guy $ 2800 but would not take it. It would cost at least another $1500 to do some work on it or restore it some what. I love that's orig. but not at a cost of $3500.    :-\

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 07:09:38 AM »
  Interesting....   a bit of false advertising there?  Or rather, no advertising?  Tunnel damage is a big deal and a common problem for the Interceptors.  I'd guess two out of every three have tunnel damage (especially where the front arm attaches).  Yes, you could split the tunnel and install a better one, but it's ALOT of work.  Trust me!
Torys Vintage Sleds

Dandb7

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 08:26:21 AM »
Tory, i agree....people should advertise correctly what they are selling....  In the past, i traveled a couple ''thousand'' miles for a ''snowmobile parts lot'' that was not at all as described...  There was no way for me to turn back after all that time and gas money, so i just took my pill, swallowed it, paid the guy and went home...... a bit pissed off to say the least...
1982 Kawasaki Interceptor 550 #558
1979 Kawasaki Drifter 440
1989 Arctic Cat Pantera 440
2012 Arctic Cat F1100 Turbo 50th Anniversary 2015 Arctic Cat Lynx 2000

750-h2

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 11:06:14 AM »
  Interesting....   a bit of false advertising there?  Or rather, no advertising?  Tunnel damage is a big deal and a common problem for the Interceptors.  I'd guess two out of every three have tunnel damage (especially where the front arm attaches).  Yes, you could split the tunnel and install a better one, but it's ALOT of work.  Trust me!

Not sure I understand?  Are you saying that most Interceptors have tunnel damage where the bulkhead attaches to the tunnel?  Not sure what you mean when you say "where the front arms attaches" I would like to check my Interceptor for any possible tunnel damage.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 11:24:38 AM by 750-h2 »

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2014, 12:13:52 PM »
   ...  around the mounting bolts (outside of tunnel) where the "front" suspension arm attaches.  What generally happens is the front suspension bolts loosen up over time.  Consequently, the front suspension arm become "sloppy" and enlarges the bolt holes.  Eventually will form cracks in that area (tunnel).  Not where the tunnel and bulkhead attach...   but where the tunnel and front suspension arm attaches.  Make sense now?  A lot of Interceptors I've seen guys have attached a steel plate to the outside of the tunnel where the suspension bolts are in order to "beef up" that area. Just check to make sure  the four bolts that attach the suspension to the tunnel are tight!!
Torys Vintage Sleds

gixxer6

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2014, 12:15:20 PM »

Not sure I understand?  Are you saying that most Interceptors have tunnel damage where the bulkhead attaches to the tunnel?  Not sure what you mean when you say "where the front arms attaches" I would like to check my Interceptor for any possible tunnel damage.

Tory is referring to the front arm on the rear suspension, where it attaches to the tunnel.  One of my Interceptors had damage there. 

750-h2

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2014, 12:22:29 PM »
Ok, now I understand. Thanks guys! :)

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2014, 12:33:03 PM »
If you slide a thin washer between the tunnel and suspension shaft (inside of tunnel) this helps strengthen that area.  Sorry if my explanation was hard to understand.  I am more of a "do-er" than a "teacher".
Torys Vintage Sleds

Joel

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2014, 12:43:23 PM »
Tory you are good at both. Thanks for keeping the old ones alive and well. Joel
79 Drifter 440, 79 Invader 440,82 Intruder,81 LTD, 82 LTD x2, 82 GT Prototype,82 Interceptor #519

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2014, 04:18:47 PM »
Hey Joel...   got you a rear bumper plastic for your 81' SRX...  sent you an email.  Tory
Torys Vintage Sleds

gixxer6

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2014, 04:45:55 PM »
If you slide a thin washer between the tunnel and suspension shaft (inside of tunnel) this helps strengthen that area.  Sorry if my explanation was hard to understand.  I am more of a "do-er" than a "teacher".

I've used the washer trick.  I used a large stainless fender washer on each side inside the tunnel.  It works great.