Author Topic: Grrr...  (Read 3941 times)

rminier

Grrr...
« on: November 30, 2014, 10:07:29 AM »
I think I'm turning into "Walter" (in my old age), one of Jeff Dunham's hilarious puppets. I may be getting close to "Achmed, the dead terrorist (I Keel you!). There is a hilarious post over on Vintagesleds.com regarding Kawasaki sleds. I must admit to being late to the party with all of the sites on the 'net. I first became inspired to the world of snowmobiling way back in the fall of '78 when I picked up a "Snotrack" magazine. In it was that cool Kawi ad showing both '79 Invaders, both Drifters, and the Intruder from a high camera angle, crossing an untracked area...also had an article by Olav Aaen where he developed his ported cylinders and twin pipes for the Invader. I decided "I gotta have one of them thar things".
 I admit I really enjoy "Ktrax, Vintagesleds, Vintagevmax, jdsleds, and dootalk. Yeah, I have checked out some others...I have only posted on here and Vmax. I have learned a lot of cool things from the various sites, but I'm a little discouraged by some things...I see some things I don't particularly care for. Sometimes a real "newbie" will ask an innocent question, and someone who thinks they are "The Messiah" will blast them for their their ineptitude. Puhleeze...
Case in point...the discussion about Kawis over on "Vintagesleds" I can appreciate the fact that a bad experience with a certain brand might sour you...Puhleeze. jimvw57 and Tory have tried to offer a 'lil sanity into the discussion. I wish I still had the issue of "Snogoer" that conducted the "Consumer shoot-out"with the '81 sleds, ranking many parameters on a scale of 1 to 10...the '81 LTD was the clear winner. Yamaha got hosed in this comparison. The '81 SRX wasn't yet available in the spring of '80, so they only had a well used demo '80 leaf Springer SRX to offer. I doubt that the '81 could have beaten the LTD in ALL categories (unless Tim Bender dialed it in). I'm not bashin' Yammie... I love my '83 Vmax. But, I am glad   that I own it rather than the '81. The '81 remains a very desirable collector, but pretty "high strung" for the average consumer. What's with all the haitin? A couple things you could throw in to the discussion...the heavy wear pads Kawi added to the back of the skiis...having a tach I have pretty much, Speedo, actual temp. gauge...not an idiot light, fuel and oil sight gauges, front AND rear storage...? I could go on, but I'm not going there...I have pretty much decided I like the vintage iron...in all shapes and sizes. My Invader is pushin' 9000 miles on the clock...what a pile of junk it must be. OK I will shut up now. I feel much better ..was it good for you, too? ;D...I have the gorgeous rotary valved motor ready to go back in the "new to me" Blizzard 9500 and have it ready for snow. No, I don't suppose it will ride and handle as well as the Invader, but still pretty cool, anyway. Oh , and for those of you that already have snow on the ground I have only one thing to say..."YOU SUCK!...
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
Re: Grrr...
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 01:11:08 PM »
  I have learned that even though we live in this great country called the United States...  freedom of speech should be harnessed/limited to some.  I have learned (the hard way) that many people can't be happy for "other people" and just want to act as a bowling ball in a china closet.  A couple friends and family went riding today.  The weather wasn't the best, but we were out there.  Here is the list of sleds we rode...  Kawi Interceptor, Kawi F/A Drifter, 83' Vmax, 83' 9700 Blizzard, 76' Rupp Nitro, 83' Polaris Indy 600, 81' Yami Enticer 250, 77 Yami Exciter, 94' Ski doo Mach 1 and a couple newer Doo's.  Does this look like brand loyalty?  Nope.  Wanna guess what my favorite sled was (to ride)?  Kawasaki Interceptor with the Vmax a close second.  Proof in the pudding.  We ride em' so I feel we have the authority to comment.  Nuff said.  8)

p.s. All Kawi Invaders including ANY sleds (other than Kawis) are junk when they sit out in a hay field for 15 yrs.  "neglected".  To put a  symbol on a brand because you've had a "bad experience" with a certain sled...  get a life and pick up a wrench. :P
Torys Vintage Sleds

rminier

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 01:22:14 PM »
Well said. I think "Walter" and "Achmed" would agree. By the way, did you catch the part where I said "YOU SUCK" for riding already? :-X
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

rminier

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 01:30:02 PM »
A bowling ball in a China closet...I will have to file that one into the memory bank...great stuff.

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 01:36:26 PM »
...   I've been called worse...   thanks man!  Don't let the knuckleheads get the best of you...
Torys Vintage Sleds

sledhead16

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 07:01:37 PM »
I built my first 80 Liquifire this year....after 300 hours and 3 parts sleds and alot of good help from the boys over on JD sleds it all came together....I love the Deeres but what a pain that Liquifire has been dialing it in....but hey I can complain cause I did all the wrenching!! I am a novice enough to get myself in an out of trouble with these old sleds lol. But I must say the other night at 11pm when I finally got to the 79 Invader 340 and changed the chaincase oil and flushed the cooling and gearcase and lubed the suspension and aligned the track and cleaned the carbs and tuned her.....what a great late night rip down the street!!! 7" if snow here in SC MN. Hey she may give the deeres a run for their money!!! But being new to renewing these old sleds I must say for every dink out there there are two decent guys willing to lend a helping hand!

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 05:53:25 AM »
  Right on!  Had my Liquifire out yesterday...   fresh motor with Aaen prepped Invader heads.  She is a fast one for sure.  Same motor as the Invaders so should run well along with them.  A good running Liquifire with Invader heads should pull 85 mph without much sweat.  Have fun!
Torys Vintage Sleds

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 07:18:18 AM »
This is the "Happy Happy Happy" site! ;D