Author Topic: Invader flywheel help!  (Read 7034 times)

Tanner

Invader flywheel help!
« on: September 10, 2015, 07:22:49 PM »
I got this invader 440 engine and this flywheels really kicking my but. I tried a harmonic puller and now a puller that bolts on the flywheel and I have tobtighten the  bolt and it will not move!! I've been putting penetrating oil and on blaster on for about 1 week before removal. Any advise

gixxer6

Re: Invader flywheel help!
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 06:53:58 AM »
-Use grade 8 bolts. 
-Grease the tip of the puller and the threads. 
1.  Install the puller
2.  Tighten it as tight as possible. 
3.  Hit it with a big hammer. 
4.  Tighten it as tight as possible. 
5.  Leave it over night.  Then repeat steps 1 thru 5 until it comes off. 

I've taken off around 20 of these with this method, worked every time.  Be careful, when it pops off it can shoot off and land on the floor and break, or on your foot! 

Good Luck!   

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 06:55:32 AM »
-Use grade 8 bolts. 
-Grease the tip of the puller and the threads. 
1.  Install the puller
2.  Tighten it as tight as possible. 
3.  Hit it with a big hammer. 
4.  Tighten it as tight as possible. 
5.  Leave it over night.  Then repeat steps 1 thru 5 until it comes off. 

I've taken off around 20 of these with this method, worked every time.  Be careful, when it pops off it can shoot off and land on the floor and break, or on your foot! 

Good Luck!

What he said!

zjet292

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 11:00:42 AM »
Ive been trying this method with no success . Broken one puller and a bolt so far .Any other ideas ? Ive made sure to have everything straight lubed everything whacked it impact it but no luck

jimvw57

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 03:28:38 PM »
DO NOT USE HEAT it will destroy the electronics under the flywheel.  You could try using an impact but that never worked for me. just keep up with the above mentioned procedure is about all you can do I have tightened up some so tight I was sure they were going to break and they have popped apart. And it does hurt when they land on your foot!

zjet292

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 10:48:24 AM »
Been whacking this thing for a week worried about the crank bending ,still cant get this flywheel off . Any other ideas ?

kawhead

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 02:35:17 PM »
when the puller is tight, make sure it is square with flywheel, helps loads

Doug in NY

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 11:15:58 AM »
I was in a similar spot earlier this year. I used above technique and it would not come free. Finally on the next day, I used a larger sized hammer gave it one good wack and it popped off with considerable force throwing it to the ground. Future note, to avoid the flywheel projectile, thread the nut on a few turns to contain the flywheel when it releases.

kawhead

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 11:20:42 AM »
leave the nut on to protect crank threads also

Worldawg

• My Instagram
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 02:18:16 PM »
Recently rebuilt a 340 invader motor myself, and this was a nightmare. It took me a full 10 days to get it off, and I'm still scared the crank is going to explode randomly after how hard I had to pound on it with a mallet to get it to come off.

I broke two smaller pullers just trying at first, so bought a bigger one but it wouldn't fit. decided to take the crankcase apart before the flywheel, not knowing the stator plat was mounted with one screw in each half of the crankcase, so I broke the stator plate. I strongly feel like I never would have gotten that flywheel off had I not done that though.

Motor runs, and a got a used stator plate online soooo....  ???
1979 Invader 340
1979 Invader 440
1981 Invader 440
1980 Drifter 340 F/A
1978 Intruder 440
1980 Drifter 340 F/A
1980 Drifter 440
Someday a 1982 Interceptor 550 :^)

kawhead

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 08:42:11 AM »
when the puller is tight and before you beat the crap out of it is the time to make sure everything is square,you will have much better luck, I've been pulling those since 78

Teherr

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 06:46:35 PM »
One other method that has worked well for me, and I have done 5 motors in the last 2 years is:  with the puller tight, pry it on one side with a large flat metal something (large screw driver).  This sideway force seems to really help.  Its worked on the last two perfectly. 
440 Invaders
440 LTD Monohead
Liquifire
80' 4/6 
Intruder Ice Oval Racer
74 El Tigre T7 Free Air
80 Polaris 440 TX
250 & 340 Enticers