Author Topic: Couple questions.  (Read 2025 times)

rminier

Couple questions.
« on: April 03, 2016, 06:56:39 PM »
 Mfgsupply is 1 place I have used over the years for some parts.
 I see they have this LED headlight bulb.
Have any of you tried these? This one does not have a hi and low beam...just on or off.
 The reason I am interested is my 83 Yamaha Vmax has only a 100 Watt lighting coil. My Invader has 120 Watts and it will power the lights and the hot grips I added just fine, with maybe just the slightest dimming of the headlight at idle speed only.
 My Vmax doesn't have enough juice to power the lights and the hot grips I added years ago. Yamaha added a separate charging coil for their factory heated grips to the 84 and later years.
 I know, if I wasn't such a wimp I wouldn't need heated grips....but they are kinda nice.
 This LED bulb only pulls 3 1/2 Watts, compared to the standard halogen's 60/55 Watts....but I have read that some LED replacement bulbs for the new sleds can cause problems with the distance where the bulb sits in the reflector body.
 I'm tempted to give 1 a try in the Vmax next winter.

2nd...I tried searching for some info on here regarding the replacement gas shock for the rear skid that has been available for years for the early Invader and Intruder.....Kimpex brand I think?
 I found a couple posts where a gas shock had been added to the newer LTD style Vari-Ride suspension.
 My original shock still seems OK, but I was wondering if any of you have tried the aftermarket gas shock on the older suspension and felt that it was worth the money.

Thanks....things are reaching the slow time of the year for the sled sites, but we will try to make things interesting occasionally.... ::)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 07:17:44 PM by rminier »
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

Gilson435

Re: Couple questions.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 10:30:20 AM »
You're darn tootin Hot Grips are nice!! :D  I want to put some on my Intruder 8) I bought some gauntlets a couple months ago but I don't really like the bulkiness of them... ::)

Haven't tried the LED or the Kimpex shock but I have also wondered about both of them.... Hope someone here chimes in!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 03:34:25 PM by Gilson435 »
69 Panther 372 JLO
73 Gilson 435
80 Kawasaki Intruder 440
81 Pantera,93 Jag,(2)94 Cougars, (2)Prowlers, (2)Z440's
2002 Polaris XCSP 800

gixxer6

Re: Couple questions.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 02:54:21 PM »
I have the kimpex gas shock installed on my 79 Invader for a couple seasons.  IMO it is a worthwhile upgrade, especially if the shock needs to be replaced anyway.