Author Topic: To re-clip or "re-track"...  (Read 3167 times)

drifterdude440

To re-clip or "re-track"...
« on: December 12, 2012, 03:04:08 PM »
Background info:  I had installed seven new clips (with guides) on my current track late last year.  Track had 1800 + miles on it and is in descent shape.  No bad tears.  Seven of these clips were starting to wear through but none were missing.  Replaced these seven.  I remember this being a PITA with the track clip tool.  Because of the clips available and/or the track being thinner than newer tracks (where the clips clamp to), it took a lot of extra effort.  I don't think the tool will last much longer.

So what's expected if i remove the track and replace it with a new track?
~ Possible extra work with chaincase issues?
~ Rust, rust, rust?

New clips................ ~ $145
Likely a new tool.... ~ $95
Hours of labor........     $$$$ (time is money!)
TOTAL..................... ~ $240

OR

New track with clips installed... $413.76 at DennisKirk
A few hours of labor................. $$

What have you guys done?  What would you do?

Rob - Drifterdude440
1979 Drifter 440 with 1900 + miles and restoring a bit at a time...

drifterdude440

Re: To re-clip or "re-track"...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 10:20:44 PM »
Well I opted for the new track.  I guess I answered my own question but I could forsee too much time in the cold "re-clipping" and too much blood, sweat, and maybe some tears.  haha.  Pictures to follow in the resto forum!
Rob - Drifterdude440

jimvw57

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 12:14:54 AM »
Never tried re-clipping, have too many tracks laying around.

gixxer6

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 07:11:31 AM »
I re-clipped my son's Yamha Bravo, its a pain in the butt!  I would've replaced the track, but it's impossible to find a good bravo track for a decent price.   

ChaChi

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 09:52:05 AM »
Everything has it's life, but I know a lot of old kawi tracks still ripping around at insane speeds on 30 year old tracks... It's always nice to update, but honestly from the pictures the track doesn't really look toast, the rust on those clips would be gone after a few minutes of riding! Big deep cracking scares me way more then those clips being rusty...

drifterdude440

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »
True, the track wasn't too bad.  It had some gouges here and there, cracking, etc.  About the rust...I had wire-wheeled them last year to see which ones I should replace.  They started to rust over pretty soon after that with summer humidity.  The clips I removed though were paper thin (and cracking), which made them really easy to remove though.  I figure the rest were on their way out too...

Rob - Drifterdude440