Author Topic: mad Kaw Newb  (Read 4794 times)

sledtillded

mad Kaw Newb
« on: January 15, 2018, 02:44:32 PM »
hello all,
 have been popping in and out of this site for a few years now and really haven’t posted too much so i figured it was time to change that.  I am up in the frozen Great White North we call Canada, Edmonton Alberta to be exact.   I have always liked kawasaki Snowmobiles but never had the chance to ride one.  I do remember as a kid going into the local Kawasaki good times dealer and staring in amazement at the low sleek sleds.  It was like staring at a super car, as I remember my Dad commenting on “they were way too expensive “. We settled on a 1980 Yamaha that year.  Fast forward to 3 years ago and the brother in law was looking for a sled and I actually found Something with a re painted flat black hood with some orange and red decals on The tunnel.   I had no idea what it was.  Of course it was
An 81 Invader.  We fixed that thing up and my first ride At the lake was amazing   I was super impressed with the power and handling     It was then I knew I had to have one for my self..........   key word was.  ONE  for my self.     I know everyone reading this can attest to the fact one is never enough. And so I can now confess I am fully infected  with Mad Kaw disease.   I found a 79 Drifter sitting all alone beside an old cabin at the lake. #1.  Buddie who collects says I have a real nice 81 Invader ........#2.  I Go parts shopping at the local sled wrecker for some Centurion stuff and   Hey what’s that ???   Under a pile of ATC rims motorcycle handlebars and plastic gas tanks. I see a decal.   All I can see is a small speck of blue paint  and the letters  “er”.   After digging for about 10 minutes I find another very clean straight complete  81 Invader.  The guy didn’t even know it was there. Lol #3...   of course anyone afflicted can attest to the constant viewing of the local buy and sell.  Here I find an ad for a Mint original 78 Intruder. With 800 miles  # 4.    Well the owner of the Intruder  didn’t just have one sled he had a treasure trove of Kawasaki  pieces and a bunch of NOS PARTS   He had been collecting for many years. And was selling out  great news for anyone with Mad Kaw.   If I wasn’t hooked before I sure was now.  He also had 2   81 LTD’s. # 5 & #6.    And what is that under the tarp in the corner ?   he hadn’t mentioned any other sleds  so when he went to grab some more parts from a shed I wondered over to have a look. It was pretty short   Drifter ?  He did say he liked the old Sno Jets    An old SST ??? I lifted up the back of the tarp and all I saw was a Chrome Kawasaki Emblem..........  I had no idea what the heck this thing was but the seat was mint.   Long story short  we all know what it was and he said it was not for sale.  My buddie has been looking for an Interceptor for over 10 years, And I just heard how rare they were.  Very  few sold here.  I ended up getting that one too that sled became #7.  And it’s a beauty. Solid 8 out of 10. Still running on the original carbs.
  From none to7.  is there any cure ?  Lol
Great site  and I look forward to restoring these beasts.  Hopefully with a little help from the experts here !!
Cheers.
Tried posting pics off my phone and no go  any advise

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: mad Kaw Newb
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 04:27:07 PM »
Great story!!  Welcome to the Mad Kawi" club where we suffer with a smirk that take some time to fade away. ;D

gixxer6

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 08:14:17 AM »
I have trouble posting pics on here from my iPhone as well.  I found that I needed to make the picture smaller, and had to save it as a PNG file (I downloaded two apps to do this).  It's a PITA, but it works.   ::)

sledtillded

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 09:47:10 PM »
Thanks for that Gixxer  I have spent way too much time trying to get this to work   I will try one more time

sledtillded

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 10:55:52 PM »
some more

sledtillded

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 10:58:18 PM »
some   are upside down now  ?? 

sledtillded

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 11:00:53 PM »
  sorry cant rotate them

gixxer6

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 06:56:49 AM »
Great pics!  Glad I could help.   :)

What kind of phone are you using?  It is really easy with my iPhone to rotate pics, open the pic in the photos app, tap "edit", then the little square icon that has twisty arrows around it. 

DougKauer

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 08:16:04 AM »
Did you get the interceptor. That's the one I've always wanted. I have found at least 8 of them, but no funds to buy one.  Will have one them one of these days.  Good luck with them. :)

sledtillded

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 08:13:29 PM »
Great pics!  Glad I could help.   :)

What kind of phone are you using?  It is really easy with my iPhone to rotate pics, open the pic in the photos app, tap "edit", then the little square icon that has twisty arrows around it.
using an I phone.  Did try flipping them around. The really. Weird thing is the small pics that are upside down are right side up when u click to get the larger version. Lol.     Glad it worked out and thanks for the help

sledtillded

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 08:24:50 PM »
Did you get the interceptor. That's the one I've always wanted. I have found at least 8 of them, but no funds to buy one.  Will have one them one of these days.  Good luck with them. :)
I did get the 550.  And am really excited about restoring it.   It came with 3 huge tubs of NOS And used parts plus 2 fiberglass  belly pans NOS skis  and complete NOS clutch.
 My plan is to take it down split the bulkhead / tunnel and rebuild it   Can’t wait for that first ride. 
Hang in there persistence will pay off in getting one of your own.
Cheers !

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 07:32:59 AM »
What # and build dates are the 550?

DougKauer

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 09:16:18 AM »
Thanks, I will have one of them one of these days. Good luck with yours.