Author Topic: Anybody ever do "KawiKamping"?  (Read 3239 times)

snojet71

Anybody ever do "KawiKamping"?
« on: December 15, 2012, 10:46:57 PM »
Sometime in the mid 80's, my brother,,,,the dog musher/racer (dog sled team)  went on a 3 day dog sled freight race in Maine.  There were 5 or 6 teams as I recall.  I agreed to go along as the one and only support team on trail.   There were people in each town to assist, but I was the only one allowed on trail with the teams.  I assisted with breakfast, lunch, picture taking and camping, yes camping.....
My 81 Intruder was my transport and I hauled a sleigh behind full of dog food, cameras, tents etc.  very heavy.    There was a local snowmobile club ready to assist the teams get over the steepest peaks (Dixville Peak??)  but the had to help me also cause I didnt make it with the sleigh.
I wasnt allowed to be near the teams when they were racing so I rode along in this largely unpopulated state most of the day except for when taking pics of the teams going by and when we all stopped for lunch.   Lets just say that tent camping in this environment is something everyone should try just once.   Its a challenge but was great fun.   I did have to transport one injured dog out to civilization in my sleigh, to see a vet.  Broken leg.   dog survived but never raced again. that was my dog's father.
Anyway,   maybe an interesting read......Enjoy the holidays and maybe some snow.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: Anybody ever do "KawiKamping"?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 07:36:16 AM »
Fun story.  I have winter camped several times.  My birthday is late December and for several years we went tent camping someplace to fish or hunt.  Never did it with a sled but it sounds interesting.