Author Topic: The Intimidator  (Read 49109 times)

gixxer6

Re: The Intimidator
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2018, 08:18:26 PM »
Funny thing is...I am a manufacturing engineer during the day, so I’m always thinking about how I would go about producing these kind of projects in quantities.  It would be fairly simple to do, I have the template I’d need to get it to someone with a plasma cutting table then I could bend them by hand (bending it was the easiest part). 

What would be a fair price for an unpainted dash? 

Shawn

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2018, 10:42:28 PM »
Really like how your sled is turning out Gixxer. You've done an awesome job on it ! My boss is a terrific mechanical engineer who's amazing with SolidWorks. He can create and get made things from metal I wouldn't dream of. If you took that dash panel to any competent fab shop they could reproduce them in quantity for you. We do it all the time. Takes quantities of at least 5 to realize and cost reduction, one of anything custom is always pricey.

gixxer6

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2018, 04:52:41 PM »
Really like how your sled is turning out Gixxer. You've done an awesome job on it ! My boss is a terrific mechanical engineer who's amazing with SolidWorks. He can create and get made things from metal I wouldn't dream of. If you took that dash panel to any competent fab shop they could reproduce them in quantity for you. We do it all the time. Takes quantities of at least 5 to realize and cost reduction, one of anything custom is always pricey.

Thanks!  I’m happy with how it’s turning out. 

Producing these types of products is something that I am very familiar with.  I know that I could take these to a fab shop and have them made easily, the problem is the cost.  To just give it to a fab shop and have them made in the low quantities that there is a market for would be cost prohibitive.  But if I found a place that has a plasma table and would cut me 20 of them and I did the bending myself, I think they could be priced low enough that they would actually sell.  I definitely wouldn’t make much profit. 

gixxer6

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2018, 04:55:26 PM »
Some of the decals are on.  Finally got it off the stand!  Dash and gauges installed. 

gixxer6

« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2018, 04:58:51 PM »
Motor going in tomorrow.  It’s a 440 Invader motor that has been ported and heads shaved.  I’m starting fairly mild until I get some experience, then I will make it a little more wild.   :)

sprocket

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2018, 07:14:46 AM »
Looks great I know of a shop that has a laser cutter way cleaner cutting ability than a plasma cutter. Call Aaen have mod pipes custom built the new style he makes

gixxer6

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2018, 09:43:55 AM »
Thanks!  I already called Aaen, they want WAY too much for the new pipes, plus they said they need the sled there to fit them. 

Want to see if the shop will quote some of the dash panels? 

mswyka

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2018, 01:05:19 PM »
What gears do you plan to run?  And how do you plan to set up the primary and secondary?
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

gixxer6

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2018, 01:27:08 PM »
The race is less than two weeks away, so I will have very little time to dial it in.  I’m going to run a stock 4/6 secondary, and a modified primary.  I set the primary up years ago to run on my stock Invader, it has E ramps modified to Aaen spec and a red spring.  It makes for a hard, high rpm launch and pulls hard all the way through.  I’m starting with stock 440 Invader gears.  The race is 500 feet. 

mswyka

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2018, 01:58:07 PM »
The race is less than two weeks away, so I will have very little time to dial it in.  I’m going to run a stock 4/6 secondary, and a modified primary.  I set the primary up years ago to run on my stock Invader, it has E ramps modified to Aaen spec and a red spring.  It makes for a hard, high rpm launch and pulls hard all the way through.  I’m starting with stock 440 Invader gears.  The race is 500 feet.

Where is the race?  Will you be side by side or racing the clock?
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

gixxer6

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2018, 02:34:52 PM »
Other than knowing it’s 500 feet, this is all the info I have. 

Invaderfan440

• Suporting Member!!!
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2018, 04:02:12 PM »
I love following this post.   I'm with the others....please tell me you are going to make these dashes available for purchase!!!???

gixxer6

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2018, 08:00:10 PM »
I love following this post.   I'm with the others....please tell me you are going to make these dashes available for purchase!!!???

I will look at it after the race.  I can’t believe it’s next weekend already!  I’m going to be cutting it close. 

gixxer6

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2018, 08:06:45 PM »
Wiring done.  Engine in.  Clutches aligned.  Oil tank installed.  Decals on.  Just need to finish cleaning the carbs, install the radiator, pipes and run the fuel lines.  Then motor break in and tuning.  I might need to take a day off work to get it all done. 

gixxer6

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2018, 01:16:47 PM »
I’m starting out with a set of the Kawasaki kit pipes.  They needed a little repair: