Author Topic: The Intimidator  (Read 49111 times)

mswyka

Re: The Intimidator
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2019, 06:55:42 AM »
Congratulations!
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

gixxer6

« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2019, 08:43:07 AM »
Thanks! 

Here is some video:  https://youtu.be/0-TZWJejcjM

It did fairly good the first 50 feet, but then would fall on it's face as it would over rev.  As I would get further down the ice, the revs would drop, but they would drop too far.  I'm really struggling with these Kawi clutches...time to get the Polaris clutches installed! 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 09:33:06 AM by gixxer6 »

sprocket

« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2019, 08:46:39 PM »
Know your max rpms in drag racing you want to hit that within 50' of the starting line and have your secondary open up quickly. With the engine revving max rpms & your secondary is opening up fast (this pulls the engine down) which creates more speed if you don't have enough gearing then go up in size. If you have the clutches set up like this you never lift if you do the engine will not have enough power to turn a 1:1 ratio. The video you showed is good reference the wheelie takes up E.T..

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2019, 10:08:38 PM »
Excellent advise!!

sprocket

« Reply #124 on: February 13, 2019, 06:52:22 AM »
I'd like to add there is a couple ways to figure out everything you need to do. 1. The Wahl Brothers Racing catalog has very helpful set ups in calculations that with a little Math or a  Calculator you can figure out what you need. 2nd a good friend of mine is a engineer that came up with a calculation that's within a tenth in mph & E.T.. 3rd there is always the Aaen clutching book along with Aaen's carburetor book all would get you going in the right direction. Everyone has different set ups and every sled will act differently to the same set up.
 If you believe your engine puts out 100hp @ 9250 rpms most engine builders will tell you it's about 1/2 to the track the only way you get more to the track is less rotating mass weight & must roll without restrictions (drag).

gixxer6

« Reply #125 on: February 15, 2019, 01:29:27 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I called and ordered the clutch tuning handbook today. 

I put in a different weight spring combo last night, I'm going to test it this evening.  If all goes well I am going to a 600ft radar run tomorrow morning.   

sprocket

« Reply #126 on: February 21, 2019, 06:55:19 AM »
Take a black magic marker mark the inside sheave of the primary also do this to the secondary make one pass the belt will wear off the marker this will be helpful on what changes you have to do repeat the markings after every pass to see if you improved or not

gixxer6

« Reply #127 on: February 21, 2019, 07:32:01 AM »
Another great tip, thanks!  I will definitely try that when the time comes.  However I have come to the conclusion that the motor just isn't making good power in the higher rpm revs.  I believe what is happening is that the Kawasaki kit pipes that I'm running are tuned to run around 8200, and my cylinders are ported to run much higher (I believe 9250).  I am working on a set of pipes that are tuned to make power in the 9300 rpm range.  I'm hoping to finish them up this weekend and get them installed next week.  While I wait to finish the pipes, I will work on reading the Aaen tuning book, I'm hoping it gets here before the weekend. 

sprocket

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2019, 06:17:37 AM »
Get a note book and write down everything so the target is 9250. Example what you have now gearing, drivers, track width, length, skid along with wheel sizes and how many studs or picks, carburetor settings, clutches springs, weights, exhaust pipe, tachometer, temperature on engine, temperature of outside & barometer keeping notes you can look back on what you did. Any little change I use to write it down. Rotating mass is power loss.

Gravityisnotmyfriend

« Reply #129 on: March 01, 2019, 08:00:24 AM »
Just read through this thread from the beginning. What a great build and beautiful work on the sled.

gixxer6

« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2019, 10:18:12 AM »
Let’s see if these make any power... 

sprocket

« Reply #131 on: March 04, 2019, 08:09:33 AM »
Nice pipes I was going to tell you in my note book I even wrote down everything I did to the engine including what water pump or no water pump. Out here (MN) in stock class (drag race) you don't have to run a water pump quick connections is all you need but then you get back to the pits & plug into a cool down cart.
Can't wait to hear what you did for times down a track

gixxer6

« Reply #132 on: March 05, 2019, 05:51:10 PM »
Not sure when I’ll be able to get to another race to get some times, with the way the extended forecast looks it likely won’t be until next season 😞

I’ve been reading the clutch tuning guide and making some clutching adjustments.  I’m having an odd problem, I pulled some weight from the primary ramps to get the r’s up where I believe it’ll make power (around 9300).  It'll run up to around 8600, then drop to 8000 and climb back to 8600 the drop 8000.  It'll cycle just like that over and over.   It almost sounds like it misses.  Any ideas? 

sprocket

« Reply #133 on: March 08, 2019, 06:55:44 AM »
What secondary are you using ?. The drop down in rpms would cause 3 things not correct ramp, spring & setting spring location. Aaen states how much tension using a fish scale this would be how much weight is being pulled back. The primary needs to hold the rpms & the secondary is pulling. Example Polaris P85 primary K-1 weight 40g with a 165-310 engagement with .020 belt clearance should put you at 6500-7000 rpms, p85 secondary 36 ramp light blue spring 2nd hole would be pretty good pull a red spring in the secondary might be to loose this will pull down the rpms of its in the 1st hole you can never lift

sprocket

« Reply #134 on: March 08, 2019, 07:07:42 AM »
Also check your timing & carburetors to make sure you are getting enough fuel for the top end. What we learned is come in high within 50' you need to be in the power range so if your engine says 8800 rpms this means your primary weights are too heavy yet you are looking for 9300 clutching isn't a easy task it takes time to get it right