Author Topic: 440 Kawasaki invader hard throttle stumble  (Read 3431 times)

Gogainable

440 Kawasaki invader hard throttle stumble
« on: November 28, 2017, 07:41:13 PM »
Put crank seals into this motor of mine as well as pistons and rings Before the rebuild it was  stumbling so with the pistons and new ring set as well as new seals thought this would go away Could this rebuild have changed the timing? Thought I put the stator back in its original position as I had marked it position. You can open the throttle quickly and it sits and stumbles but if you work the throttle you can get it up to speed. Also when I pull the plug wire off on the clutch side still runs but if I pull the plug wire off the mag side with the plug wire back on the clutch side the motor quits any ideas? I have a timing lite do I need a timing gauge to check this motor? Thanks

gixxer6

Re: 440 Kawasaki invader hard throttle stumble
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 08:27:03 PM »
Sounds like the carbs are out of adjustment. 

Running the stock air box? 

Gogainable

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 09:00:18 PM »
Yes running stock air box if out of adjustment where could the problem be adjusted clip on main jet needle made no difference checked it will sit and idle but as soon as you touch throttle it wants to bog. Went to fourth notch on main jet needle made some improvement But not much could the cdi box be bad and not producing a hot enough spark?

gixxer6

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 08:37:29 AM »
Your comment "when I pull the plug wire off on the clutch side still runs but if I pull the plug wire off the mag side with the plug wire back on the clutch side the motor quits" tells me that the idle is probably not adjusted properly.  Start by adjusting the throttle cables then sync the carbs.  Also check the choke cable adjustment and pull the choke plungers to make sure the rubber on the bottom of the barrels are in good shape. 

These motors are a little finicky.  Everything must be tuned and adjusted properly or you will get the dreaded "Kawasaki bog".   Which, from your description, you have the bog!   :(
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:40:18 AM by gixxer6 »

Gilson435

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 09:22:23 AM »
Have you had the carbs apart and cleaned? There is an o-ring that tends to go bad on the bottom of the needle jet that fits down into the float bowl. Always a good idea to replace those even if they look ok. Have you checked for good spark on both sides? I like to use an inline spark tester to see the spark.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 09:24:38 AM by Gilson435 »
69 Panther 372 JLO
73 Gilson 435
80 Kawasaki Intruder 440
81 Pantera,93 Jag,(2)94 Cougars, (2)Prowlers, (2)Z440's
2002 Polaris XCSP 800

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 02:11:13 PM »
My 81 has acted like that and it was due to a leaky carb flooding one side and fouling the spark plug.  The O rings in the carb can also make one side run bad.  Mine would be a little hard to start but would idle Ok but could not move the sled.  I have also had a mouse nest in the muffle cause a similar problem.

kawhead

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 03:56:27 PM »
pto side not firing....switch carbs side to side, see if it follows