Author Topic: Suspension Springs  (Read 1399 times)

mswyka

Suspension Springs
« on: November 30, 2017, 11:34:47 AM »
Good afternoon.  I am checking to see if anyone uses a lubricant between the suspension springs and the plastic guides on the suspension rail.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

rminier

Re: Suspension Springs
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 01:25:43 PM »
 I may go overboard....
May be 7 or 8 years ago I started using a new technique whenever I had the skid out of any of my sleds.
I believe the best arrangement would be sealed bearings at the ends of the cross shafts to provide nearly friction free movement....let the spring(s) and shock(s) perform their job with no friction interference.
 I always ran a rod through the cross shaft tube with a paper towel saturated with a solvent until I knew all of the old grit and grime was removed.
Then I coated the shafts with some low temp grease....usually something  lithium based.
7 or 8 years ago I still used some low temp grease on the shafts to prevent corrosion, but I began slobbering on a bunch of copper based Never Seize stuff on top of the grease.
That stuff is slippery...even low temp grease is a fairly sticky in comparison.
Once I even tossed a can of the Never Seize in the freezer overnight. It remains very slippery even when left at 0 degrees.
I coat every moving contact point, and pivot point, in the suspension, not just the cross shafts. The Never Seize seems to remain in place pretty well and doesn't get washed out easily with water.
I swear I can tell a slight improvement in the freedom of movement in the rear skids.
I even had to bump the rear spring pre-load up a little bit on my Vmax, since the skid could now cycle with a bit less friction.
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.