Author Topic: rear heat exchanger and head temps  (Read 1539 times)

chaddyg8

rear heat exchanger and head temps
« on: January 07, 2018, 03:23:31 PM »
After a nice 10-15 min ride. I pulled the invader back in the garage to check everything. I have no temp gauge which i'am replacing with a sunpro very soon. MY question is how hot should the heads and heat exchanger be? On mine you can't touch them for more then a second or it would burn? hood and windshield are both installed. riding around 5 acres with pretty decent snow? and some wide open pulls. after letting it cool. I pulled the rad cap and it released pressure so that seems to work. Plugs are a decent brown color...because the rear heat exchanger gets hot would that mean that the waterpump has to be circulating fliud correct? thanks for any help...

mswyka

Re: rear heat exchanger and head temps
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 03:36:53 PM »
Depending on the outside temperature the water temperature will vary.  Today our Invader ran between 140 and 160 with outdoor temperatures about 18 degrees.  So,  at these temperatures I would not be able to hold my hand on the engine or the heat exchanger.

Yes, my sense is that if the heat exchanger is hot then the pump is moving fluid.  If the pump was not moving fluid I believe that the engine would have overheated.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

chaddyg8

Re: rear heat exchanger and head temps
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 03:45:34 PM »
Thank you for the reply. This sled has been quite a challenge lol to get running. Now I think I’m just being overly cautious.  But After a wide-open throttle run it’s hard to get the grin off your face!!! 🤘