Author Topic: Finally Vader Is (I Think I Grinned) Back <<<revised>>>  (Read 4993 times)

Truder78

Finally Vader Is (I Think I Grinned) Back <<<revised>>>
« on: January 16, 2018, 11:33:35 AM »
Thank you guys for all your help!!!
I just wish I knew more so i could help others too.(More often)
now all i need is SNOW
Here she is
Well I guess I posted it to soon Went to the garage to get something and noticed oil on the floor under the sled.
I used a mirror as all the lines looked fine and the bottom bolt for the oil pump (The one under the motor) has oil dripping off it. Man I can't catch a break with this thing. Anyone ever have a oil pump seal go bad? It must be the dark side of the force. Not sure if I have it in me to pull the motor again twice already. I remember Jim from the site once saying stick a fork in me I'm done now I know how he felt.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:24:59 PM by Truder78 »
Kawasaki Snowmobiles
Riding the thrill of a life time

gixxer6

Re: Finally Vader Is Back
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 12:16:11 PM »
Nice!  I like the polished tunnel and the sliver paint. 

Have anymore of those black "440" decals?  I like them.   :D

Truder78

Re: Finally Vader Is Back
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 01:18:35 PM »
Thx the paint job was there when I bought it.
The 440 I made with the extra black vinyl left over from making the black wings. Pretty easy to do just takes time I went online found the style I wanted printed it out and traced them.
Kawasaki Snowmobiles

sledtillded

Re: Finally Vader Is (WAS) Back <<<revised>>>
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 11:21:28 PM »
sled looks great.  hang in there  it will be worth it once all the bugs are worked out  we have all BEEN there.....
I am relatively new to these sleds my self and had a couple questions about yours    is that the stock seat ? or re done with the pleats?  it looks great and haven't seen one like that.  also is that the stock track or upgraded  looks like a taller lug

Truder78

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 07:53:29 AM »
Thx
Not sure about the seat cover it was on the sled when I got it.I have seen similar covers on ebay so my guess is it's after market.
Track is your standard 1 inch lug track it came with the side clips that you need to (cut) grind off
Kawasaki Snowmobiles

Truder78

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 10:27:58 AM »
I was able to grind down a 10mm box end wrench and get to the bolts I needed to was able to tighten them about a 1/4 turn. Ran the sled for about 20 mins at idle and and on a stand... rev it up some ...shut it down and so far no leaking. Getting snow now and hope to try it on the lake later FINGERS CROSSED.
Kawasaki Snowmobiles

gixxer6

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 10:51:04 AM »
I assume you are referring to the bolts that hold the oil pump on? 

I have had several leaky oil pumps.  It seems the shaft seal on the water pump side likes to dry up and fail.  They are a PITA to change when the motor is in the sled.  I always fill the pump with oil and let it sit overnight to check for leaks before installing a used pump. 

Truder78

Re: Finally Vader Is (I Think I Grinned) Back <<<revised>>>
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 07:56:39 PM »
Update: a couple of days ago...I replaced the main oil line and redid the ends of the cylinder and center bearing bled the oil pump and synced the carbs ran the sled on the lake for 20 mins let it set for 36 hours and no more oil leak. I put a piece of cardboard under the engine and it came out clean. Today I rode it for about 2 hours checked the plugs and they are a medium brown in color both look the same. This is with the mixed oil and gas for the first tank after rebuild. Just to be sure if needed the clip on the needle is in the center slot so moving it down makes it richer and up for leaner is this correct? it was about 30 degrees today and the lake has 4 inches of fresh snow the sled ran 150 to 180 on the temps as long as she was moving temps stayed good
Kawasaki Snowmobiles

mswyka

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 08:46:34 PM »
Sounds like the makings of  a good day.  Congratulations!
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Truder78

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 05:58:41 PM »
Hey guys the lake has froze in and waiting for snow.
Fired the vader up today after last years rebuild and.....starts right up but is running like crap no low end at all have to choke it to keep it at idle. Nice write up on how to clean carbs.
I saw the o-ring part # for JD and it claims 0.145 id seems I read on here somewhere they were
 5/32 ? does that sound correct. i'm trying to cross reference the o-rings local and tractor supply has these.. anyone ever get them from TSC  The season has begun Whoot Think these will work????
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 07:09:19 PM by Truder78 »
Kawasaki Snowmobiles

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 07:15:53 PM »
Not sure but if you try them put some oil on them and it should be a snug fit when assembled.  Good luck!

mswyka

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 08:20:53 PM »
We have one of those kits from NAPA with a bunch of different size O-rings.  I can't say which one we use, we just match it up.  And as Bob says, use some oil in the assembly.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Truder78

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2018, 09:11:53 AM »
I set the air screws to 1 turn out as at 1 1/2 turns still no idle sled fired up and ran a little better started turning the air screws in 1/8 turn at a time and the idle kept getting better I kept adjusting them until the idle was great no bog and starts right up but..... always a but... when I checked the settings both were at 1/8 turn out? Worn air screws? runs nice at that setting but is it safe to run at 1/8 turn out? odd last year after the rebuild it ran fine at factory settings any ideas?
Kawasaki Snowmobiles

gixxer6

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2018, 09:46:50 AM »
Having the idle air screw turned in that far, and your earlier comment about having to choke it to make it idle tells me that it is running lean (at least on idle).  Now that you have it idling without the choke, try lightly applying the choke (with the engine warm).  It should make it want to die out.  If it doesn't, then it's definitely too lean on idle and likely needs the carbs gone through again, or it's possible you have an air leak somewhere.   

Truder78

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2018, 10:27:34 AM »
Checked all lines and carb boots all looks well Primer is disconnected and lines are plugged no air leaks.  Started it up went around the yard a few times got it up to temp and started lifting the choke lever lightly and she stalled out it didn't take much.
Kawasaki Snowmobiles