Author Topic: Older sleds  (Read 4718 times)

Shawn

Re: Older sleds
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 09:53:54 PM »
It's been my experience that the time, effort and money I've put into some of the sleds I "fixed up" with the intention of getting more when selling them just doesn't seem to pan out. If you're looking to get them out of your life just sell them as is and settle for what you can get. This may very well end up being less than you hoped to get but so long as it's more than you've invested and you didn't do any hard work then you'll have done well enough. As for crank seal replacement it's a chore but not a nightmare job to do. Fan cooled Intruders are less effort as you can remove the engine without puking coolant everywhere when you extract it. You can do the seals on an Invader liquid without opening the cooling system at all but it requires more kneeling and bending over for longer periods of time. The task involves separating the upper and lower crankcase halves so that you can install the new seals without damaging them during the installation. The coolant on an Invader all lives in the upper half so it's possible to leave the entire top end together on the upper crankcase half without opening the cooling system. As for your harsh ride I suspect the cross shafts of the suspension arms are either seized inside the arms preventing them from pivoting or something else is binding up ? The Kawasaki sleds all give a well above average ride in comparison to most vintage sleds. If gone through and adjusted for your weight it should be a nice ride. As mswyka stated beware if you do fix any of them up to keep and ride. Mad Kaw Disease can be a powerful affliction you may have to suffer with the rest of your life. The first time I got out on my '82 LTD and had room to run I pinned the throttle only to end up laughing out loud so hard it fogged up my helmet lens forcing me to let off and slow down. Once slowed down I opened the lens and pinned the throttle again till my eyes watered from the cold and all the while laughed like a silly thirteen year old kid. If you do fix them up I assure you you'll enjoy them a great deal.   

Boise_chief

Re: Older sleds
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 09:51:45 PM »
I think I will keep one or maybe 2. I had a ball trail riding my kids 97 indy 440 today.  I expect you can throw the kawis around in the corners like the little 440.

2 questions
Is there a definitive thread on crank seals you can point me to?

And secondly what should I ask for the 2 78 440s that are consecutive serial numbers?  I'd like them to go to someone that use them for vintage runs etc