Author Topic: WTB seat with good foam  (Read 4378 times)

moz_21

WTB seat with good foam
« on: February 21, 2018, 06:26:52 PM »
Anyone have an extra seat kicking around for an 82 Intruder? Cover can be crap as they're easily found on eBay. Need the pan and good foam and trunk if possible. THANKS!

DougKauer

Re: WTB seat with good foam
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 08:26:34 PM »
There is a pan for the seat on Ebay.

mswyka

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 09:12:23 PM »
if the pan is not badly damaged, they can be repaired fairly easily.

Attached are two photos of how we patch up the front corners of the seats.  sometimes we add some more plastic.  The plastic parts can be glued together with PVC pipe solvent cement.  It won't work in the 82, but for the earlier years, in the back, instead of fixing the  corners of the pans we drill holes through the hinges for the glove box door.  I have a picture of  that too, but am having trouble finding it.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

moz_21

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 12:49:14 AM »
There is a pan for the seat on Ebay.
Was hoping for a little cheaper than that.

if the pan is not badly damaged, they can be repaired fairly easily.

Attached are two photos of how we patch up the front corners of the seats.  sometimes we add some more plastic.  The plastic parts can be glued together with PVC pipe solvent cement.  It won't work in the 82, but for the earlier years, in the back, instead of fixing the  corners of the pans we drill holes through the hinges for the glove box door.  I have a picture of  that too, but am having trouble finding it.

Thanks for this, I can use it on my Invader. However, I have no pan to start from on the Intruder.

gixxer6

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 06:39:11 AM »
I've never had an Intruder, but it seems like without the heat exchanger a simple piece of plywood could be used? 

moz_21

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 01:03:10 PM »
I've never had an Intruder, but it seems like without the heat exchanger a simple piece of plywood could be used? 

Might be the route I have to go but unsure of how to do the foam.

I've never had an '82; did the tail light change? It doesn't appear to be riveted to the tunnel like my '80. Maybe built into the compartment?

I've also been tossing around the idea of finding something else that fits. 90's Arctic Cat look roughly the same shape and size and there are a couple available locally.

gixxer6

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 01:10:07 PM »
I probably have a usable foam that I could sell.  I might even have a salvageable plastic seat pan. 

kawhead

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »
tail lite was in the glove box door on later sleds

moz_21

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 11:00:57 AM »
I probably have a usable foam that I could sell.  I might even have a salvageable plastic seat pan. 

That would be awesome. I'm not too concerned about a usable trunk, just foam and pan that fit.

tail lite was in the glove box door on later sleds

That's what I thought. Were they flush or stick out 2 inches like mid 90's Cat?

mswyka

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 11:31:39 AM »
Our first two sleds came without seats.  So we took some pressure treated plywood cut to go around the fuel tank tang and the tail lamp assembly and added some side rails to raise it up off of the tunnel cooler and the tail light wiring.  We went to a local fabric store and bought some chunks of foam and a couple of yards of vinyl and fabricated a pair of seats.  They are on the ugly side, but they are solid and work well.  I have thought about putting on a OEM seat for appearance, but they are functional enough that we keep them.  I looked for some photos of the plywood or and the finished seat but don't seem to have any on this computer.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

moz_21

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 01:16:47 PM »
Our first two sleds came without seats.  So we took some pressure treated plywood cut to go around the fuel tank tang and the tail lamp assembly and added some side rails to raise it up off of the tunnel cooler and the tail light wiring.  We went to a local fabric store and bought some chunks of foam and a couple of yards of vinyl and fabricated a pair of seats.  They are on the ugly side, but they are solid and work well.  I have thought about putting on a OEM seat for appearance, but they are functional enough that we keep them.  I looked for some photos of the plywood or and the finished seat but don't seem to have any on this computer.

I think I can do something similar. '82 seems to have had the tail light integrated into the trunk lid. That's kind of why I'm leaning towards finding another that fits, maybe a Cat or Polaris seat with the tail light. Another plus would be that I'd get a MUCH improved trunk system.

gixxer6

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 01:25:03 PM »
If it doesn't need to be 100% original to the year, you could always switch to the older style tail light.  I probably have a dozen of them laying around with brackets. 

Send me a PM, I can probably get you set up with everything you need for a reasonable price. 

moz_21

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2018, 12:40:40 AM »
If it doesn't need to be 100% original to the year, you could always switch to the older style tail light.  I probably have a dozen of them laying around with brackets. 

Send me a PM, I can probably get you set up with everything you need for a reasonable price.

PM sent. I think. Forgot to save to my sent messages so LMK if I actually didn't.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 12:45:33 AM by moz_21 »