Author Topic: Changing skid, track and drivers......need some info  (Read 3908 times)

Kawibunga56

Changing skid, track and drivers......need some info
« on: September 01, 2018, 08:58:47 PM »
Hey guys,
Looking for some info. I have a 78-79 invader 440.
Question #1: Want to put 7-tooth drivers since I’m installing  newer Polaris 136” skid and have a track that needs some extra clearance. Wahl brothers makes 7-tooth drivers to help achieve the clearance. But I’m unsure of the drive shaft size. Is it 1” or 1-1/4” hex. I will also need to outer wheels and unsure of that round shaft size as well. Also since I’m pulling it apart I need to know the bearing size that goes on the end of the shaft so I can have a fresh one.

Question #2: what is the part number or specs I need to replace my crank seal(I know this is covered lots. I won’t ask how to replace since it’s covered on other topics). I’m making a large list and placing my order. Want to make sure I have everything since it’s tougher to get parts in Canada.

Question 3#: has anybody tried a different secondary clutch (newer) that installs onto the factory shaft or does that need to be replaced. This will dictate what size of drivers I will order in case the shaft size changes.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: Changing skid, track and drivers......need some info
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 04:41:24 PM »
Shaft is 1 1/4 hex and 1 1/4 diameter on the ends.

I get my seals here  https://www.mfgsupply.com/garage/vehicleparts/parts/snowmobile/kawasaki/1980/invader+440/

They also have the Comet clutch for Kawasaki engines

This is a start for you.

Kawibunga56

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 05:22:09 PM »
Thanks  Interceptor398
What size of ramp/weight should I be using for these comet clutches. I’ve lolked at some weight charts and I’m seeing B-2 (40 grams) but heard other guys use E and F(54 ish grams). That’s a big difference in weight. I don’t mind getting a few sets to determine what is best. But want to start Somewhere in the ballpark

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 06:46:18 PM »
Someone else will need to pipe in on the comet clutch set up.  I have a couple but have never monkeyed with them.

Kawibunga56

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 06:46:43 PM »
Can’t put new drivers in new location (outer portion of track) due to HEX only being 9” along center of shaft. Need a full hex to drivers can be installed properly for newer track design.
Shaft is 21-1/16” long. 18 spline. 1-1/4” dia. Is there anything similar to this from other manufacturers? Even if it required some machining?

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 05:00:46 PM »
I'm sure I could make on but it would be a bit spendy.  I'm not sure of anything close.

sprocket

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 06:45:02 AM »
Call Wahl brothers they can make you anything or might have something in stock. Wahlracing.com not trying to take any business away from anyone Wahl has a huge selection of parts
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 06:46:34 AM by sprocket »