Author Topic: Possible cause for a backwards running engine  (Read 3858 times)

cb96

Possible cause for a backwards running engine
« on: January 20, 2019, 08:20:45 AM »
I recently bought a 78 Intruder to fix up. I was told the carbs needed a tuning and the sled should run, as I expected this was not the case. After trying to start the sled a bit didn't seem like it was getting any fuel, checked the fuel pump and diaphragm had a big crack in it. After replacing the fuel pump I got a couple good kicks out of the sled before the coil gave up. Put a new coil on the sled and the started up in probably 8 pulls, only the engine was running backwards.

I searched all over the internet for possible reasons and the most plausible is the timing is very advanced causing the engine to fire way early when you pull it and start running backwards. removed my flywheel to see the stator is lined up perfectly with the scribe mark on the fan shroud and the flywheel, key, and crank are in good shape.

So after a lot of investigation I realized that someone replaced the pulser and exciter coils and put them on backwards (pulser in the back and exciter in the front) which caused the timing to be way too advanced regardless of stator position. I searched everywhere on the internet, didn't see this solution so I figured it should be posted. Would be very easy to put them on backwards if you didn't have the diagram in front of you

rminier

Re: Possible cause for a backwards running engine
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 08:39:23 AM »
 Good catch!!!  That would have been a tough one to figure out.   8)
75 SnoJet Astro SS, 79 Kawasaki Invader 440 (two of them), 81 Scorpion Sidewinder, 82 Blizzard 9500, 83 Yamaha Vmax 540, 97 MXZ 670....and holding...for now.

Vader440

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 08:45:45 PM »
Years ago I remember reading on another site that a guy had an El Tigre that ran backwards, to my knowledge he was never able to figure it out. I'll bet he had the same thing going on. Very good information, Thanks!

mswyka

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 07:07:24 AM »
Considering that the single flaw in the Kawasaki design, if there is one, would be the lack of reverse, it would be pretty cool if this condition could be somehow manipulated so that the operator could have a mechanism for going in reverse.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440