Author Topic: Flywheel removal  (Read 1773 times)

sljsmc

Flywheel removal
« on: February 23, 2019, 03:46:46 PM »
I am in need of suggestions. I have a 79 invader that I think the flywheel has never been off. I know it hasn't from at least 1983. I need to know what else to try to get this off. I have had a puller mounted for about 2 weeks. I have tried to carefully rattle it with an impact. I have used enough torque to break the bolts 3 different times (class 10.9). I have used CRC knocker loose with the freeze shock and also Airkroil which says it will penetrate anything within a millionth of an inch? I have rattled the end of the puller with a hammer but I don't know how hard to hit it since it is on the end of the crankshaft.

What would you guys suggest I try next? Thanks in advance.

gixxer6

Re: Flywheel removal
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 09:46:21 AM »
Try some 12.9 bolts and whack it with a big hammer while supporting the puller. 

mswyka

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 11:07:15 AM »
How many ft-lbs of torque does your impact wrench put out?  Bigger wrench?  I only say this because mine seems to work fine but my son has one that does not seem to work on the hard jobs.

I agree with Tom's comment regarding the hammer.  And will offer the following:

With full tension on the puller, take your lump hammer  16oz or better and hit the end of the puller in line with the axis of the crankshaft.  One good hard shot should be all it takes.  But again, the blow needs to be directly on axis with the crankshaft.

I am attaching a photo of our puller set up on an Intruder engine.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

sljsmc

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 08:12:35 AM »
Okay so BIG hammer and LOTS of beating finally got it off. Got the seals replaced and now ready to put the bottom half back on the case. My manual gives a pattern to tighten the bolts down but it does not give a torque spec. What do you usually torque the case to?

mswyka

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 08:28:22 AM »
The manual says 16 ft-lb.  I admit that I generally take mine to 20 ft-lb
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

gixxer6

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 08:31:03 AM »
Glad to hear you got it off!  Some of those flywheels can be a real bugger! 

Sounds like you must not have an original Kawasaki service manual...  The torque spec is 16 ft lbs.  I would recommend picking up an original manual, they can be had very cheap on eBay and other places.  Otherwise there are some pdfs available online, just do a google search. 

Good luck!