Author Topic: Runs Great Sub-Zero  (Read 3192 times)

JBenner80

Runs Great Sub-Zero
« on: February 13, 2019, 10:50:39 AM »
Took the 79 Drifter 340 up north this last weekend and for a sled that hasn't run in 10 years or better it really good.  But...Im looking for running great.  So Friday it was in the mid 30's and the sled ran choppy lower half of the throttle was not very responsive and choppy.  Saturday and Sunday it was much colder below zero with wind chill and the sled seemed to run great.  I did pull the carb off and clean it Friday around noon because I wasn't pleased with the way it ran.  Is this just because its an old fan cooled sled or are there a few adjustments I should be making?  I would like the sled to carry me into late season fishing as well.   

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: Runs Great Sub-Zero
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 11:23:23 AM »
Add some seafoam or Heet to the gas.  It is more than likely gummed up a bit.  It could be the jetting also.

JBenner80

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 02:35:43 PM »
No old gas in the system.  New fuel lines, completely emptied tank.  Running non-ethanol gas with Valvoline 2-cycle oil. 

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 06:44:30 PM »
Next time check to see how the spark plugs look after it has been running sluggish?

Gravityisnotmyfriend

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 01:19:35 PM »
The colder the air, the more dense it is. If it runs great in the cold and less so in the warm, it could be jetted a bit rich.

Have you looked at your enricher circuit at all? If the plunger isn't seating all the way, you could be getting extra gas in the carb - which might be fine when it's really cold - but not so much when it's warmer.