Tech Information > So you got a "New to you Kawasaki snowmobile"

1980 440 Drifter

(1/4) > >>

whitley1983:
Hey, brand new to this community but just want to say I'm really happy I found it. I recently acquired a 1980 440 Kawasaki Drifter that is in decent shape, the left cylinder had low compression so I pulled the top end off and the left piston had a ring that part of it broke off and scarred the inside of the cylinder. I am going to send the cylinder off to be re-plated, am ordering new pistons, rings, needle bearings and a new top end gasket set for it. Additionally I am going to put new slide rails on the rear suspension. I was just curious if anyone could suggest any other major maintenance things I should go ahead and do since I have it all torn apart. This is my first vintage sled rebuild and would love any input I can get. Thanks in advance
-Jake

Interceptor398:
Welcome to the site!!  From the way is sounds the things you are working on will have you in the places you need to looking at. Keep us up to date and we will do what we can to help you thru it as best we can.

rminier:
Welcome, Jake!
 1)  You didn't mention changing the crank seals in your post. You definitely should do that while you are working on the engine....fairly simple job with the Drifter engine.
 2)  When you replace the sliders, make sure you really clean the suspension cross shafts and the tubes they go through, then lubricate ALL pivot points..not just the cross shafts..with low temp grease or copper based Never Seize. I think a lot of people complain about rough riding sleds because they never take the time to do this.
 3)  Check out the chaincase for 40 year old crud....it may never have been looked at, then refill.
 4)  If you need a shop manual, I can PM you with a downloadable one from another site.

Ask away with any questions.... 8)

Rick

whitley1983:
Hey, thanks for the replies. I found the shop manual online already! I'm def going to open up the chain case and clean it out, and I'm getting ready to pull out the rear suspension and I'll def clean and grease the cross shafts. As for the crank seals, how hard is is to split the crank shaft case? And any tips on splitting the case? Thanks in advance
Jake

Interceptor398:
Splitting the case is not hard, it just takes some time.  We can help!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version