Author Topic: Speedometer Adapter Conundrum  (Read 1047 times)

mswyka

Speedometer Adapter Conundrum
« on: December 23, 2019, 05:53:52 AM »
Had to do some speedometer adapter work on two sleds yesterday.  The first was fairly easy.  The adapter had come off and the speedometer was not registering.  That was a simple fix of putting in a new key and reattaching the adaptor.  Although, this time I added thread lock.  Hopefully it stays.  I will have to keep an eye on it.

The second is the source of the conundrum.  This is a sled that we put together last year from spare parts.  I noticed, while riding that it was giving me speed that was easily two to three times the actual ground speed.  Checking the adaptor it was one of  the 1:1.375 adapters. 

That is when I checked the bag of  spares.  I found left and right, which I learned the hard way a few years ago.  All the lefts stamped 1:3.  And then there are the rights.  Some of the rights are 1:3 and some are 1:1.1375.  I can only assume that somewhere along the way, the adaptors and the speedometers were changed so that they both matched.

Does anyone have a way to identify which speedometers match up with the 1:1.375 adaptors other than by trial and error?  My memory gets a little fuzzy at times, but I had thought that I had gone through all our speedometers once upon a time and found them all to give the same response to a known speed input.  But like I say, my memory can get a little fuzzy.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: Speedometer Adapter Conundrum
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 09:05:16 AM »
I took a hood from a 81 340 Drifter which everything worked and put it on same year 440 Drifter and the speedo was register way fast like the issue you are having.  I think the difference is in the chain case gearing.