Author Topic: Electric start for 79-81 Drifters  (Read 1282 times)

Craig79

Electric start for 79-81 Drifters
« on: January 06, 2020, 11:25:50 AM »
Hi folks, new to the forum and appreciate all discussions. I apologize for the long discussion below. 

I have a question and is a bit of a stretch but though I would reach out to any folks who were a part of the Kawasaki scene in the late 70's that would have any knowledge on the application of E start for certain models.  I had a 79 340 Drifter with the electric start option when they just came out. Ran that snowmobile for years and enjoyed the e start even though it wasn't hooked up right.   Now some 30 years after we sold that sled I have 2 old Drifters in my stable, a 79 and 81 440 models.
Is there any technical or electrical reason why the e start was not available for the 1979 cdi 440 Drifter but available for the 79 points ignition 340?  I have rebuilt a number of Kawasaki sleds and Kawasaki engines.  The Hitachi start motor fits on both engines as long as there is a ring gear on the flywheel.  I have a brand new old stock Kawi e-start kit for a 79 340 Drifter that is complete .  It will plug into the harness/ circuit board as designed as well the starter motor bolts on fine and will engage the flywheel without binding.  (please note the harness and circuit board is a carry over wiring set up from the Sno-Jet days and was the last year of that wiring style for Kawasaki) I have a ring geared flywheel/ stator from a Kawasaki Intruder 440 engine of the same vintage and engine model.   Presume it should work fine. I do know a lot about the Kawasaki sleds but not everything or in this case the select reasoning behind some accessory offerings.
Has anyone out there have any knowledge on this?  I just want to avoid burning out the volt regulator/ rectifier in case the it's not designed to handle the input somehow from the 440 cdi stator.  Both the points and cdi stator have the same voltage/ wattage output.
I can chat in more detail if someone knows anything.     Thanks to all for your help!     -Craig

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: Electric start for 79-81 Drifters
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 12:08:11 PM »
Welcome to the site!!  I think electric start was an option for the Drifters but I have never owned one.  It is likely the same parts as were used on the E start Intruders??

Craig79

Re: Electric start for 79-81 Drifters
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 02:53:07 PM »
The 79-81 Drifter sleds had the e start option each year but only for select models.  The 79 year had the red circuit board/ wiring harness set up from the Sno-jet days and the 80 to 81 Drifters and for that matter all Kawi models from 80-82 had the more modern wiring harness without the open circuit board. Regardless the rectifier/ volt regulator is the same for the Drifters and Intruders with the exception of the wiring plug ins to the wiring harness.  My question/ concern is between the '79 340 or 440 Drifter if the lighting coil off each respective stator will have the same output.  The 340 was points ignition (which the option was offered only) and the 440 was cdi.  I would think as long as the components/ wiring is plugged in correctly (from the diagram/ directions from the e start kit) and the starter engages the ring gear without issue I could use the e start on the 440 Drifter model.