Author Topic: Track Studding  (Read 1154 times)

mswyka

Track Studding
« on: September 03, 2020, 05:56:27 PM »
In thinking about the modifications that we have made to the sleds over the years, one of the best modifications has been adding studs.  After a few less than graceful, and slightly painful, experiences on ice with non-studded sleds, we made the decision to stud our sleds.  Initially there was some interesting discussion as to whether it is appropriate to stud a 30 or 40-year-old track.  However, considering at the same time that we were running a track or two that had been studded 30 or 40 years ago, it seemed like the same thing either way. 

So, we have studded all the tracks and have had problems with only one.  Once again, the 78 Intruder came to us with a studded track and when looking at it last season it was obvious that it had lost more than a few of its studs.

We have been using 7/8” stainless studs with carbide tips.  Each track has received two studs in every other track section or a total of 48 studs per track.  The studs are installed per the studding pattern that came with the track pack.  Performance with this amount of studding has been just right for us.

The last thing with the studding is lifting the suspension.  But that will be the topic of another post.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 05:59:45 PM by mswyka »
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: Track Studding
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 11:20:00 AM »
I have yet to stud a track but have considered it.  I seldom drive on ice so it has not been a big deal.  If I were to race then for sure I would have studs.

gixxer6

Re: Track Studding
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 10:10:24 AM »
I studded one of my first Invaders, it was a great improvement on ice and hard pack.  I installed a new style 1” Camoplast hacksaw track on my 81 Invader, it would out perform the studded Invader everywhere except ice.  The new track is still the best modification that I have ever done to a Kaw...