Author Topic: What do I need to do guys?  (Read 2956 times)

Checkmarks

Re: What do I need to do guys?
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 08:32:13 PM »
If your racing and asking about swapping carburetors then you must know about air fuel requirements of a motor.  Wideband O2 sensor in the pipe for 5minutes to set up jetting on all carburetors if you have the assortment of carburetor parts Jets, needles, jet needles, throttle valves; see the list.

A person can delete the power Jets just by switching float bowles.  If racing you understand the air box is critical to suck uniform cold air from outside source.  Uniform in the sence, each carb gets the same cold air intake.  The air under the hood is all over the map and when wideband O2 sensor checked you end up chasing tail. 

I've yet to see an oil pump fail.  Motors at idle need 120:1 ratio of oil to fuel and 20:1 at wide open throttle (WOT).  The point to old school thought was to be able to "change jetting" by adding more oil to the fuel; thus less fuel and more oil, but the air fuel manipulated.  You'll learn the motor with more oil.  AT the expense of fouled plugs.

The horrible clutch chatter is normal.  Your bog I expect is your drive belt (get new one).  Flooding at idle, maybe fuel needle seat, dirty fuel/carb or idle mixture needles too rich.   A water cooled sled should sit and idle until the coolent blows out over heated. Call your spikes question a spike per horsepower and call it a night.

Ameritude

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2020, 01:01:02 PM »
thankyou for the info. I ended up choosing to go with two brand new vm 36's (not allowed to go over original size for racing, or i would have gone vm38's) I bought about 100 bucks in jetting and tuning bits so I could get the right Air/Fuels when I do get to tuning it. During the tear down of the sled I found out that the lines going to the intake from the oil pump are shot, which is just a normal maintenance but its kinda funny, considering I had a feeling not to run the oil pump on first start up (keep in mind im going to be fixing that and running it from now on) as for the cool air, im not sure what im going to do about that yet, I might just run some ram air induction going to that area (not into the carbs, its not going to be pressurized) Im not sure about alot of things right now, but ill get it figured before race day. Ive done this before a couple times so I have a general idea of what im doing.

Checkmarks

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2020, 11:35:30 AM »
If you vent your modified airbox??? From behind the the windshield, there is lower air pressure and it gets more air through the pump (motor).  That's why air cowled face backwards and not forward on a "race" car.

I tried to send you a direct contact information.  I'll make a point to go to the races in Georgetown and Gramby.

Rollingmenace

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2020, 05:42:37 PM »
Looks like you guys are getting it figured out....
Ameritude.. where are you planning on racing this year... are you from Colorado? I’m putting together a 78 intruder to run stock class here in Colorado. Just picked up a new set of vm32’s to run on mine

Checkmarks, it appears your from Colorado here too.... I’m in Evergreen. Hopefully I’ll run into you at the XMR races this year...

Ameritude

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2020, 11:10:23 AM »
Im up here in Eastern Wa unfortunately. We will have to keep each other up to date for sure about our successes this year though

Rollingmenace

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2020, 03:15:22 PM »
Absolutely.. I’m curious how it works out for you... race season here starts on DEC 19 .. I better get a move on as the motor I still in pieces on the bench.. I should have the bottom end together today