Author Topic: oil injector pump  (Read 9581 times)

mswyka

Re: oil injector pump
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2013, 11:37:38 AM »
I just checked the 1980 Invader manual that i have here on my computer and it says that the ratio varies from 110:1 to 25:1 which makes it difficult to pick any one ratio for both low speed and high speed operation.  I am willing to go out on a limb and say that since I use Arctic Cat 50:1 oil in my sleds that if you were to use a 50:1 mix and drive moderately you would probably be safe.

Changing the pump is easy but will require engine removal.  The hardest part of engine removal is pulling the drive clutch.  Remove the exhaust pipe being careful not to damage the two rubber mounting bushings.  After that there are two 3/8" engine mounting bolts on the mag side of the engine that take a 9/16 wrench and 4 - 8mm allen head cap screws that take a 6mm drive on the PTO side of the engine.  Pull the carbs, disconnect the impulse line, disconnect and plug the oil line, disconnect the oil injector cable, and pull the recoil rope out of the spiral rope holder or unbolt the recoil all together and the engine will come right out.

You do not have to split the case to change the oil pump but you will need to take off the gearcase cover, unbolt the drive gear from the pump and then unbolt the two mounting bolts that hold the pump to the crankcase.

Even though you don't need to split the case to do this, if you have the engine out it is an excellent time to inspect and replace crank seals - which are notorious for engine operation failure on these sleds - particularly the mag side.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

jimvw57

Re: oil injector pump
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »
What he said... You might be better off getting a supporting membership here, then you would have access to ALL the shop manuals and parts books for the Kawasaki line.  Some of those manuals on CD are pirated copies and the quality is not always the best.  The manuals here are authorized by Kawasaki to be on here for use by members.

Changing out the pump does require pulling the motor, and a good time to do those pesky crank seals, and lube the lower steering shaft bushing. You will need a clutch puller tool, and a flywheel puller (to do the crank seals) Both are a good investment, and not too expensive.