Author Topic: 1980 Drifter 340 Coil/Stator no spark, cant find parts  (Read 1629 times)

Tarmop

1980 Drifter 340 Coil/Stator no spark, cant find parts
« on: December 28, 2020, 08:09:14 AM »
Hello Fellow Kawi trackers!

I have had an 81 Drifter 340 for several years now, my first sled.
Im pretty comfy with engine teardowns and reparis etc.
I put the drifter away in the spring with spark,  pulled it out this fall with no spark.
I suspect the coil, but I cant find one anywhere online!
its a coil with a CDI built in.
there was a spare in the parts box that came with the sled but it doesnt seem to fire either.
I saw on this site someone has put a parts list of all the coils avail but none to be had. 21110-3006 (3005/3012/3024) and even a John deere # from a spitfire 340  but theres nothing on ebay or parts stores.

Does anyone know if I can make a modern coil / cdi work?
or any ideas on how to fix it?

the other issue I have is not able to find any specs/proceedure  to  specifically test my stator.
I get 16.5 ohms between the exciter(red) and Trigger(white) wires coming from the stator.
I belive the two yellow wires are for lighting and the brown is for ground,
can anyone confirm this is correct?

thanks so much in advance and I hope this finds you and your friends and family well.
cheers
Tarik

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: 1980 Drifter 340 Coil/Stator no spark, cant find parts
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 11:35:29 AM »
Welcome to the site!!  Someone here will have the answer but currently I am not the one.

Tarmop

Re: 1980 Drifter 340 Coil/Stator no spark, cant find parts
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 08:12:59 AM »
Thanks for sayin Hello!

I was able to test the stator,
all is good in there,
I had 148 ohms between exciter(red) and ground meaning exciter is good and 38v ac on that circuit when cranking

I had  15.5 ohms between exciter and pulser meaning pulser is good and 3.5 v ac on that circuit when cranking.

so now I just need to find a good coil/cdi.   not looking too good tho.  hoping I can find the timing of the cdi, and use another model where maybe i use 2 single cdi coils or something??   I havent been able to find any info supporting that tho.  and only dead ends when it comes to a used one.
cheers
T

below is a page for ignition specs from service manual incase anyone needs them

« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 08:14:31 AM by Tarmop »