Author Topic: crank seals  (Read 4176 times)

menger69

crank seals
« on: January 03, 2013, 04:43:50 PM »
   I was wondering is there a way to check for a bad crank seal.

gixxer6

Re: crank seals
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 05:15:33 PM »
You can do a crankcase pressure test...This will tell you if they are bad, but does not tell you that they are good...  If there is any question, change them.  It may not test bad now, but a 30+ year old seal won't be good for long, and when it goes it can cause major engine damage. 

Checkmarks

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 06:59:37 PM »
The best way to check for bad seals.  Change them.  Belly up and put in the few dollars, and hours of work.

Of my now twelve Kawasaki sleds, nine of them had torn seals when I first got them.  I do not even bother trying to start up a Kawasaki unless I just replaced the seals.  My most memorable was a 530 motor guess why the person got rid of the motor.  Same thing with the very newest 4/6 motor, the mag side seal was blown out.

I would take pictures of each seal blowout case, but then the redundancy would drive the forum crazy. 

Invader440

• Up Norte Dere in Fosston, Mn
    • Curt's Snowmobiling Page
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 10:44:07 PM »
I would take pictures of each seal blowout case, but then the redundancy would drive the forum crazy.
Not Jim  ;D

jimvw57

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 12:46:05 AM »
Too Late!!!   ;D

jimvw57

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 12:15:22 PM »
If the crankcase where the seal goes looks like this, it might be a good idea to do a little cleaning..

Especially if the seal looks like this...