Author Topic: just cant get it to run right!!!  (Read 2825 times)

jpatz

just cant get it to run right!!!
« on: January 04, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »
i have a 1978 invader 440cc that is driving me crazy. Im positive its the carbs causing all my problems everything else is fine, seals are good, compression 135 both sides.

When i bought the sled it didnt run right, carb problems. the factory air box gone and the jest in the carbs all messed up, power jets were not operating proporly because there were carb peices missing. i just cant get it to run consistantly good.

temp about -5 to -10 celsius (canadian) it runs strong and fast like it should, no bog, no hesitation, stays at a running temp of around 140-150. temperature any warmer it bogs. takes off fine bit of a low end bog, mid range bog, WOT it flies. so low end and midrange bog.

i have the power jets pluged up. runing a 300 main and stock (30) pilot jet. idle air bleed screws 2 turns out. stock needle is at top notch (clip at top notch). my air box is off a 340 invader, oppend the rubber boots up a bit to fit, not a perfect seal. aftermarket commet cluch and 340 invader chain case gear ratio ( more low end)

could someone help me to get this beast running like it should? its a great sled just not as fun bogging out.

Trucker

Re: just cant get it to run right!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 02:49:25 PM »
go down to a 260 or 270 main jet and give that a shot. I ran 260 mains in my ltd and it ran perfect.

jpatz

Re: just cant get it to run right!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 10:29:11 PM »
forgot to mention but i did try runing 290 and ran horrible. tryed them in there and all different needle heights and air screw turns. right now the plugs are a nice golden brown.

so far out of everything ive tryed (300 main, 290 main, 30 pilot, all needle positions, different air screw turns, oppen carbs, air box,) it runs best with 300 main 30 pilot and 2 turns out air screw.

i figured it was leaning out a bit more in cold weather so it must be runing rich in the warmer temps but like i said i tryed the 290 main and it was worse, WOT was fine but any other speed realy bogged, when needle clips were at second from bottom wouldnt even move the sled. dropped the needles down to top notch and ran ok from warm (110/120) to opperating temp ( 140/150) and just fell on its face as soon as it gets to its running temp.