Author Topic: 79 Invader Carb Identification and Jetting  (Read 1749 times)

bfish

79 Invader Carb Identification and Jetting
« on: September 08, 2021, 03:46:34 PM »
I recently purchased a 1979 Invader 440. It hasn't run in 10 years, I have no history other than there was a fire at one point but I love the look of the Kawasaki machines, so it now sits on my driveway. With the help of several people, local shops and sourcing information here, I'm slowing bringing the Invader back to life. Before I fire it up, I need to figure out the carbs and the jetting.

The machine should have Mikuni VM36's but there has been some modifications and the carbs look like they were changed. There are identical stampings on both Mikuni carbs that say H3 7 3 and by the choke cable it's stamped 45L O1C. The carb body measurements match the spec's for a more current VM38 as the opening to the cylinder is 38mm and the carbs have the access bolt off the bottom of the bowl. I do not think they are Powerjet. Does anyone recognize the stamping codes, are these really 38's?

The fire did some damage around the carbs and melted some of the wires (now replaced) while totally destroying the airbox. So, I will be using single filters on each carb. The machine also has what looks like OEM twin pipes (maybe off a later model?). So with more air/no vacuum on the carb side and less restriction on the exhaust side, what should the jetting be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:30:42 AM by bfish »

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: 79 Invader Carb Identification and Jetting
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2021, 07:31:35 AM »
With the twin pipes and different carbs I would be tempted to try 4/6 specs.  The 4/6 had 140 main jets,  35 pilot jets,  120 round reverse type power jets,  6 DH7 3 needles jet needles and P6 needle jets.  I have no idea if it would work but it's a place to start.

bfish

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 08:44:09 AM »
Thank you! What is your suggestion if the cards are not power jet?

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 09:14:20 AM »
Funny!  In the middle of the night it dawned on me that you might not have power jet carbs.  There are others on here that know that answer but I "think" that you add a couple of the jet numbers together to get close??

bfish

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2021, 05:43:19 PM »
Thanx for the input. I'm going to start with 30 pilot and 320 main and see how it goes. Unless anyone has a better idea. Thank you again.