General Category > The Interceptor Gang

restoration of 282

(1/1)

282interceptor:
picked up 282 from Minot on the weekend and going to try to get her running driving and as restored as need be. got some questions that i am wondering about though:
1- what type of plastic is the belly pan? got a hole just under the vent on the clutch side and I'm going to try to plasi weld it but need to know what kind of plastic it is
2- what is normal for engagement on the clutch?
3- when i picked it up it had a bad piston in it but came with a good one so i changed it out and got it running, but when i picked it up the guy thought the oil pump was shot which caused it to burn the piston. does this sound right? it was just the mag side and bore was good. would it be worth changing out the oil pump?
4- best way to fix slight cracks in the hood?
5- better to keep original seat with a few cracks and tape them over for originality's sake or do now cover?
6- any general tips or tricks with tuning this thing? I'm used to mikunis so don't know what to do with the keihins. sled did come with a shop manual
let me know, thanks!

mswyka:
Looks like a great sled.  Congratulations.

The bad piston sounds more like a crank seal issue than an oil issue.  It would be worth inspecting and checking the output on the oil pump before you write it off completely. 

The Kehin's are very sophisticated carbs.  Kawasaki picked them for a reason.  And if you want to stick with them, somewhere around here I have a cross reference to a Harley carb that should be pretty much a direct swap. 

But I am not quite as sophisticated as the carbs, so if I had to do it all over again I would swap in a pair of Mikuni's.

For the belly pan I have heard multiple suggestions of what the material may be.  Personally I think it is ABS.  We use scrap belly pan material and PVC solvent to make patches and repairs.  I think that I posted some photos of this in the thread with the building of our green sled.

Interceptor398:
Welcome to the site!!  I see a lot of hope for 282.  If it were mine I would do the motor and cabs to get her going.  Do cosmetics later.  Looking at them is fun but driving them is more fun.

282interceptor:
one more thing, anyone got a line on a track? new one is a camso 9796 but everyone i checked with said they are out of stock till February. if someone has good used original id prefer to go that route

gixxer6:
As mswyka said, change the crank seals...The oil pumps on these are stout and rarely go bad, but it's worth checking while you have the motor out doing the seals. 

I believe the engagement RPM was 5200, but I'd need to check the manual to be sure.  It should have J-ramps and a pink spring in the stock primary clutch. 

Interceptors are too rare of a sled to disgrace with duct tape.  There are OEM replicas available, they are a little pricey, but very worth it. 

Ditch the stock carbs and put on a set of 38mm mikunis.  I believe there are some starting point jetting specs on this forum somewhere. 

Again, change those crank seals, if you skip this step you will regret it...

Welcome and good luck!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version