Site News > Discussion & Help

Both plugs firing the same time

(1/3) > >>

Kasperwing1:
There must be a component in the magneto, coil, or somewhere else that puts the spark on the second plug 180 degrees later. Anyone know what this is called and where it's located?

mswyka:
The timing on the Invader and Intruder twin cylinder engines is set up to have both pistons firing at the same time - so firing twice for every crank revolution.  I believe that this is a function of the multiple magnets on the inside of the flywheel.

Kasperwing1:
There are two sets of points opposite each other on the armature plate and two condensers. I would think that each set of points/ condenser would be wired to one ignition coil/ one spark plug to fire once per revolution, instead of combining both sets of points to each ignition coil/ spark plug. Each cylinder will fire if I remove the plug cap from the other cylinder. The manual doesn't say. It's the only reason I can figure why both cylinders won't run the same time is the spark is at the same time, once per revolution. The sparks look a little different. One spark is brighter and lasts longer than the other spark plug. I am trying to investigate if a bad condenser would account for this and delay the spark so they would fire about the same time. The above was wrong. Upon removing the flywheel, it has CDI not points.

mswyka:

--- Quote from: Kasperwing1 on February 22, 2023, 12:28:18 PM ---There are two sets of points opposite each other on the armature plate and two condensers. I would think that each set of points/ condenser would be wired to one ignition coil/ one spark plug to fire once per revolution, instead of combining both sets of points to each ignition coil/ spark plug. Each cylinder will fire if I remove the plug cap from the other cylinder. The manual doesn't say. It's the only reason I can figure why both cylinders won't run the same time is the spark is at the same time, once per revolution. The sparks look a little different. One spark is brighter and lasts longer than the other spark plug. I am trying to investigate if a bad condenser would account for this and delay the spark so they would fire about the same time.

--- End quote ---

My bad.  I was assuming that you had electronic ignition. 

Lloyd (ljm):
 What engine are you working on?    Am I correct in assuming that it is a Kawasaki engine in an Ultra light?

Most CDI ignitions fire the sparkplugs together.

I know at least some points ignitions will fire the plugs together.

Does the engine run?

I remember being in my early teens and my Dad telling me that the plugs on the snowmobile fire together.  Once close to top dead center and once close to bottom dead center.   One spark is used and one wasted.

If there is 2 sets of points the plugs would not need to fire at the same time. That doesn't mean they don't

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version