General Category > General Discussion

Back at it

(1/4) > >>

mswyka:
We are back at sorting out why the 1979 Intruder starts so well but runs so poorly.  So yesterday the sled came into the shop and we are going to start over at the beginning.

To recap the sled starts and idles well.  On the last outing back in March the sled flew down the lake and then lost power.  We were able to limp back to the barn.  Off the ice the sled seemed to perk up a bit.  But another run a week later confirmed that it had no power.

Compression is good.

Fuel Line is clear and flowing.  5 psi from fuel pump.  Clunk not obstructed.

Secondary was frozen the prior year.  Secondary freed and working properly.

I did not check primer.  So this is still on the list.

After that I am going to need to pull and disassemble the engine.

mswyka:
Engine is out and apart.  Looks quite good.  Some evidence of bearing chatter.  Cylinders are clean and measure on the low end of acceptable range.  Pistons show some wear and measure  towards the high end of acceptable range.  I will likely replace some bearings and get new pistons and rings.

Interceptor398:
Your off to a better start to winter than I am.  I'm still working on the winter wood pile but getting close to enough.

mswyka:

--- Quote from: Interceptor398 on October 07, 2023, 06:49:52 PM ---Your off to a better start to winter than I am.  I'm still working on the winter wood pile but getting close to enough.

--- End quote ---

I am thinking that you have made the wiser choice. 

Ameritude:
If a coil gets hot or "saturated" due to being old, it can cause a loss of power aswell. If you have a spare, I would throw it on just to be safe. Happy sledding  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version