Site News > Discussion & Help

Rivets

(1/1)

jbenjamin:
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a 1978 440 Intruder and need to remove my fuel tank as I can see that the pickup tube and screen are laying in the bottom of the tank disconnected from the barbed connector. Can anyone tell me what type of pop rivets are used? (Aluminum, Stainless Steel or Steel)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Great site!!
JB

mswyka:
For the soft assemblies - aluminum to aluminum or aluminum to plastic - I am using 3/16 aluminum rivets.  For the structural assemblies - aluminum to steel - I am using 3/16 stainless rivets.

On the fuel tank bracket I think that you can choose either material.  I would normally pick the aluminum for this connection since it does not take a lot of stress and I seem to have to take them off more than once and aluminum is easier to drill.

With that said, if all else is good you may not need to remove the tank.  I have been successful inserting a new pick-up tube using a stiff wire inserted from the gas cap opening into the fuel fitting on the bottom of the tank then sliding the pick-up tube over the wire and pushing it down onto the fitting.

Either way, good luck with the repair.

jbenjamin:
Thanks mswyka, I really appreciate your help and all of the valuable input you have given on this site.

JB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version