Author Topic: Clutch Question  (Read 2300 times)

NDHICK

Clutch Question
« on: January 08, 2013, 09:20:44 AM »
I recently had my 81 invader at a mechanic because of fouling issues and he seems to have taken care of that for me but he noticed that the clutch seems to be sticky and doesn't want to let the motor wind up sometimes. Is there a way to free this up without tearing the clutch apart? or could there be another cause to this? I am new to working on sleds and am trying to do as much as I can myself. Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

mswyka

Re: Clutch Question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
I am not sure I can help on a clutch issue, but I have a clarifying question.  Is your mechanic talking the primary (on the engine) or the secondary (on the jackshaft)?
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

NDHICK

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 12:28:21 PM »
I believe he is talking about the primary. he said when it would go back down to idle after being engaged it seemed like it would hesitate before disengaging. Like I said I am not very familiar with the clutches on a sled so it could be the secondary. I will give him a call to clarify. He did not have the tools to take the clutch apart he mainly works on newer sleds.

invader87

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 10:12:11 PM »
As the motor winds down to an idle it takes a certain amount of pressure to spring the clutch back open. Just like it does on engagement. If he is spinning the thing up and watching it ( with no belt on) I would consider this normal. Not "sticky"