Site News > Discussion & Help

Lower end appart

(1/2) > >>

jbenjamin:
Hi All,

I have finally got around to splitting the lower end of my 1978 Intruder 440. I have attached photos,and am going to bring the crank and lower end into a machine shop to have the bearings replaced. Just asking if you all think this is the way to go as I know at this point that one cylinder got very hot and looks like it was run for a while. (just not total meltdown)

Thanks

JB

Interceptor398:
That is an impressive melt down!   If the crank roles free and smooth I would use it as is.  If you can feel or hear anything other than smooth and quiet it would be time for new bearings.  I do think those bearings are very dependable if not abused.

mswyka:
From what I can see in the photos the crank looks nice.  And like Interceptor says, if the bearings roll smooth they are probably fine.  There is quite a bit of bearing chatter evident making me wonder if something was out of balance.  If everything else checks out fine some gasket material on the outside of the races during re-assembly might be in order.

jbenjamin:
Thanks Guys for your response,

I think I might bring it into a re builder to have them look at it. Not only am I worried about the bearing chatter but the connecting rod bearing on the pto side looks very dry and seems a little loose. I'll let you know what they respond with.

Thanks again.

JB

mswyka:
Do you know how many miles are on this engine?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version