Author Topic: Intruder wont idle warm.  (Read 4951 times)

alexmoebis

Intruder wont idle warm.
« on: January 19, 2013, 08:49:56 AM »
Hi Everybody. Im new on here. I have a '78 Intruder, a '79 Intruder, and an'81? Drifter 340 F/A. Anyway, I used to play around lots with these sleds when i was younger. They have all been sitting for probably 6 years. I recently got the 78 running. I disasembled the carbs and cleaned them real good, new plugs, fuel lines, primer, throttle cable, brake pads, enrichner cable, windshield, seat cover, built my own suspension lift. Anyway, The thing runs like a dream. however when the machine is warm, and i mean after ive put on 5 miles or so, it wont idle. I think its flooding because I hit the enrichner just real fast on and off to see if it was lean at an idle and i killed it instantly. Dont remember the jetting but i do remember the air screw is about 1.75 turns out. Any ideas? Topend is awesome. plugs are a perfect color. simple as turning up idle screw a bit? I hate to do the wrong thing and have no machine at all :). Thanks guys. Maybe I'll get some pics on here later. Also, I'm thinking about giving them all a paint job, any idea on where to get new decals?

alexmoebis

Re: Intruder wont idle warm.
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 08:52:36 AM »
One more thing... My speedo doesnt seem to want to work. The cable is good, and when i turn it by hand the odometer moves. I replaced the stub shaft thinking that was it but no luck. Must be down in the drive somewhere. Anything common I should look for before I start taking it apart?

jimvw57

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 03:53:44 AM »
I'd guess at the pilot jets being the problem. Replace all the jets as they rarely come clean when cleaning a carb out. They don't cost that much.

alexmoebis

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 08:51:55 AM »
Took a stab at just turning the idle screw a quarter round. totally solved the idling problem! easy fix!