Author Topic: Intruder carbs  (Read 7220 times)

lipzahoy

Intruder carbs
« on: January 15, 2013, 09:02:20 AM »
Hello,I can't get the pilot jet out of one carb on my 78 Intruder .I have 2 VM 32 carbs now and was gonna replace the econo-jet carbs with them.What would be a good starting point for main and pilot jets? 220 main and 40 pilot jets are in them now.Just to make things interesting the motor has old El Tigre 400 free air cylinders on it!!Thanks.

mswyka

Re: Intruder carbs
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 09:09:05 AM »
Help me out, you can't get the pilot jet out of the stock econojet carb and therefore want to switch to non-econojet?  Or you can't get the pilot jet out of the new carbs that you want to put on?

In either case, I have been successful using the following approach.  Soak the jet in PB blaster.  Soak it again, and when that is done soak it again.  Find a screwdriver that fits the jet perfectly, apply pressure and back the jet out.

That was too easy, the bottom of the jet was probably broken off and in that case I start with small drills and drill the jet out until it will accept the smallest ez out.  Then after soaking with PB blaster back what is left of the jet out with the ez out.

When that does not work I throw the carb body away and find a different one.
Intruders:  1978, 1979, 1981 Custom (Pink)
Invaders:   1980 440
Projects:    1981 Invader 440

lipzahoy

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 10:42:44 AM »
The jet has nothing left to get a grip on.I was thinking of changing to the regular mikuni's because I can't find any econo-jet carbs here on P.E.I.  I also have no airbox for it and they are very scarce here as well.Do you know what size pilot jet the stock Intruder carb came with?I will try the drill method if worse comes to worse,just don't want to screw up the carb and have nothing.Thanks.

mswyka

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 02:37:31 PM »
Stock pilot for Intruder is 25.  If you louse it up I will check to see if I have a spare.  If you are really desperate, i have a really lousy airbox that has no grommets - but you might be able to make it work.  Next to the 340 we love these Intruders, don't need any fluffy snow to keep them cool, they have been really reliable, and easy to work on.  My philosophy is that if you keep it stock it has a better chance of running satisfactorily.

mswyka

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:17:30 PM »
I checked and we have a spare carb body if you end up needing one.  It will need to be cleaned up, but  it appears to be all there.

lipzahoy

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »
I have had the Intruder for 20 years or more and still enjoy it.I cleaned the carbs again today and now I can see light through the pilot jet!The motor runs very well cold but when it warms up it will still idle smooth but is boggy taking off.On a real cold day,-15 or -20 the bog is non-existent which leads me to believe it is running to rich for warmer days.New pistons(hard to find 400 Kawi pistons)new seals,gaskets and intake boots last year.Back before I put the 400 free air cylinders on it the bog was there also. I have made an air box out of a windshield washer fluid bottle and a 1 liter 2 stroke oil bottle that works better than it should.The belt is new and I cleaned the clutch.  Still boggy!!!!! 

gixxer6

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 07:16:18 AM »
Your homemade airbox might be causing the rich condition.  The econojet carbs rely on a specific amount of restriction from the stock airbox.  Try to hunt down a stock airbox, or switch to non-econojet carbs. 

lipzahoy

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 01:41:09 PM »
It works better with the airbox on,I tried with it on and off.I am gonna try regular mikunis today but I am not sure on the proper main jet I should start with.

kawhead

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 05:03:53 PM »
add the main and power jet, i'd add about 20 over that to start,better rich than lean. :P

lipzahoy

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 12:13:19 PM »
I got fiddling around with the Intruder yesterday and fixed most of the bogging!!!    I saw on another post someone had a problem with a primer leaking and thought I better check.Turns out it was leaking quite a bit so I put a clamp on it and she worked very well.Thanks for all the help!!