Author Topic: CLUTCH - Settings  (Read 10113 times)

gixxer6

Re: CLUTCH - Settings
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 09:07:29 AM »
The sled will perform great.  But keep in mind, its an old piston port 440, this design is VERY limited when it comes to low/mid range power.

Power is a relative term.  I'm a guy who grew up on fan cooled 340 and 440 sleds from the 70s and 80s with 35 to maybe 50 hp.  I've ridden a few 80+hp liquid sleds from the 90s and a few brief opportunities on 120+ hp modern stuff.  For me and my style of riding (mostly trails), I've noticed most anything around 70-80hp is about right on power.  Sure, the occasional high speed run across a lake is a thrill, but that is still a very small portion of my riding.

I'm probably going to be quite content with the Invader "power" as it is around 70hp or more.  I simply want the most out of it as possible- mostly with reliable and smooth operation, then with the best power it can have. 

After all, I am still a kid at heart and the quick run wide open is going to happen, right?

After reading this, I am confident that if you set it up completely stock, take your time and be detailed about adjusting the carbs, clutches, track tension, and timing.  Make sure the correct airbox is installed.  You will be extremely happy with your Invader.  Once you have it running correctly, if you want to experiment with the clutching to find something that fits your style of riding go for it!  But remember, most of the time modifications are a balancing act, add power in the low end, lose power up top...Add power up top, lose power in the low end.  For trail riding I find the stock setup ideal. 

jimvw57

Re: CLUTCH - Settings
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 12:38:32 AM »
Just a word of caution on the Invaders, they can run hot if you do a lot of trail riding on groomed and hard packed trails. Get over into the powder to get some snow up on the cooler occasionally. The radiator works great out on the lakes if you get some airflow through them

Ad don't overlook those suspension cross shafts. Once they quit pivoting, you will feel every bump. grease is your friend...