Author Topic: My 1980 LTD 4/6  (Read 10056 times)

AdrenalineJunky

My 1980 LTD 4/6
« on: August 14, 2013, 08:08:17 AM »
Done about 8 years ago.  I'm still looking for an oem replica windshield.  Image did the motor for me, complete crank up.....I recall spending $2k ish just on the engine.  :o  I would also like to find new seat foam as I'm sinking too deep into it when I ride it.

kawhead

Re: My 1980 LTD 4/6
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 12:20:56 PM »
very nice.....gotta love the 4/6

gixxer6

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 03:19:14 PM »
NICE sled! 

I've got a REAL nice original 4/6 complete seat that I was planning to put up for sale this fall.  I think I also have a good used foam...But I'd have to look to be sure. 

Trucker

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 05:38:09 PM »
You can get a windshield from http://www.receng.com/servlet/Detail?no=3535  this is made from original  that was provided by a kawasakitrax member

AdrenalineJunky

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:19:48 AM »
You can get a windshield from http://www.receng.com/servlet/Detail?no=3535  this is made from original  that was provided by a kawasakitrax member
$170 + shipping.  No way.  $100 would be bad enough, but I'd buy at that price.  Am I the only one who thinks that $170 for a pound of sheet plastic is plain ridiculous?

thomy

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 02:05:43 PM »
You are definitely not the only one who thinks that price is ridiculous. Way beyond unreasonable. This windshield is a Sno-Stuff windshield. It is listed on the Sno-Stuff website but the link goes to the website listed above. I need two LTD windshields but for $360 to $400 I'll buy two windshield blanks, make a jig, and get out the heat gun and snips. It won't be the first time I've done this. The first one is the hardest but once the pattern is made the next ones are easy.

jimvw57

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 07:31:52 AM »
Depends what you are looking for. If you want original stuff, it is expensive! I went with the black plastic one which you can't see through, but who looks through them anyhow?? They are also indestructable!!

Trucker

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 08:25:32 AM »
$170 + shipping.  No way.  $100 would be bad enough, but I'd buy at that price.  Am I the only one who thinks that $170 for a pound of sheet plastic is plain ridiculous?
Yes the price is high but if you want a exact replacement to the original that is it. you can go cheap and have it fit like crap and fight with it( trust me i have done it) or buy one you just stick on and are done with it.
You also have to remember that price is based on supply and demand if nobody is buying a product the price will be higher and eventually they will no longer produce the product. Keep this in mind when you can no longer find repop items.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 09:08:02 AM by Trucker »

thomy

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 03:25:58 PM »
Depends what you are looking for. If you want original stuff, it is expensive! I went with the black plastic one which you can't see through, but who looks through them anyhow?? They are also indestructable!!

This is not an original OEM windshield. It is made by an aftermarket company called Sno-Stuff. Prior to this the highest priced aftermarket windshield I've ever seen is a Kimpex windshield made for Ski-Doo at $149.99 suggested retail. I've been in the snowmobile business for 27 years and I remember when I sold the same Sno-Stuff Kawasaki LTD windshield for about a third of the price they want for it now.

Thom

gixxer6

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 08:52:53 PM »
Supply and demand. 

Tory944

• Torys Vintage Sleds
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 06:14:33 PM »
...  so the next time you see a 4/6 for sale that might be a bit rough, but has a decent windshield for let's say 500 bucks, don't roll your eyes.  That 500 dollar "beater" might land you alot more coin later...  with a windshield to boot.  Welcome to the world of "pay to play."
Torys Vintage Sleds

jimvw57

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 12:02:31 AM »
A few years back I spotted a LTD windshield in with a pile of Kawasaki factory windshields. the guy wanted $300 for that one and about 150 for the others (that's each mind you) He no doubt took them home with him

AdrenalineJunky

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 11:20:34 AM »
Yes the price is high but if you want a exact replacement to the original that is it. you can go cheap and have it fit like crap and fight with it( trust me i have done it) or buy one you just stick on and are done with it.
You also have to remember that price is based on supply and demand if nobody is buying a product the price will be higher and eventually they will no longer produce the product. Keep this in mind when you can no longer find repop items.
I think that if they dropped the price to a more reasonable level, folks would buy them.  They could get their money via # sold versus profit per.  Like I said, @ $100 I'd buy one.   These are sort of a wear item, so they would continually sell.  I have an OEM original, its scratched and cracked but it could be used for a remake.

jimvw57

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 10:20:23 AM »

This is not an original OEM windshield. It is made by an aftermarket company called Sno-Stuff. Prior to this the highest priced aftermarket windshield I've ever seen is a Kimpex windshield made for Ski-Doo at $149.99 suggested retail. I've been in the snowmobile business for 27 years and I remember when I sold the same Sno-Stuff Kawasaki LTD windshield for about a third of the price they want for it now.

Thom

No I never said they were original. The windscreen does 2 things, 1) looks great and 2) directs airflow to cause a low pressure on the back side of the radiator to draw air through the radiator. If you run without a windscreen, you are asking for trouble. Since they are made from plastic (in one form or another) and exposed to the elements, they do get brittle and wind, or other forces tend to make them break. The softer black plastic ones I mentioned tend to last longer and handle the elements much better, are cheaper, etc. If you are looking for an option for a trail sled, or daily runner, this would be a good option.

AdrenalineJunky

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 10:14:13 AM »
I finally found a nos original windshield!   Had to pay the price, but seeing how they are extinct, I guess its worth it.  I seem to recall there being a black decal running along the bottom edges..or am I mistaken?  Anyone recall?