Author Topic: anybody install a modern power plant in a kawasaki  (Read 5118 times)

badcats

anybody install a modern power plant in a kawasaki
« on: November 02, 2013, 10:08:32 AM »
anybody have pictures of a modern power plant in a kawasaki. lets see them

panhead

Re: anybody install a modern power plant in a kawasaki
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 04:39:18 PM »
I haven't done it, However the Kawi 550 made it home tonight at 4pm. 1375 miles, thanks. I want to see the pics when its done! Panhead

jskal

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 07:45:20 PM »
I've been considering creating such a monster.  Potentials for the combo include:
'82 LTD
'82 Interceptor
'01 Edge 600 big block w/M10

My wife gave me the 'horrified face' look when I talked about putting the 600 into the LTD OR putting the LTD bellypan/hood onto the edge.

gixxer6

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 09:16:57 AM »
I have on my bucket list putting a twin 750cc Kawasaki jet ski motor into an Invader...I think that if Kawasaki would've continued to make sleds, this might've been what we would have seen...Being that the jet ski motors of the time are so similar to the sled motors. 

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 07:55:44 AM »
How did they mount the jet ski motor?

jimvw57

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 05:10:14 AM »
sorry, I just don't get it.. why mess up a perfectly good Kawasaki, or for that matter,  a newer sled?? If you want more suspension, get a newer sled. If you like the looks and everything else, get a Kawasaki...

I guess some people have too much time on their hands. Best of luck!!

gixxer6

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 09:54:07 AM »
How did they mount the jet ski motor?

I haven't looked at it that close yet.  I think the biggest challenge will be how to attach the clutch to the crank. 

badcats

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 10:17:50 AM »
Jimvw57, i have 2013 350 hp z1 turbo, and  lots of origional muscle sleds, i just want a vintage rider with reliable big hp.

p.s i hate when guys chime in that have nothing good to say!!!!

jimvw57

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 01:17:15 AM »
NOTHING GOOD TO SAY ??  I take that as an insult.

I was voicing my opinion as I feel the Kawasaki sleds were ahead of their time in style and performance. Grafting on newer technology parts while sounds like a great idea ends up costing a LOT of money and time. and in the end makes a sled that is just plain a mess unless a lot of time and money is spent and the person doing the work has the skills and equipment to do the job right.

A well taken care of stock Kawasaki will run great, keep up with the newer sleds and be reliable. It just takes someone to do the needed maintenance and required checks before the season starts, and don't try to use it for what it was not intended for.

ride it like you stole it and it will break down!!

I have been working on Kawasakis for over 15 years now. I think I might know what I am talking about.   

I like the looks of the older sleds and that is what I own and ride.  If you want a reliable sled, that is more fun than an Interceptor, get a 1980 340 Invader. They have tons of pickup and scream off the line, not so much top end but around here, the trail (and lakes) have a max speed limit of around 55 MPH. anything over that and you could loose your sled.  They do enforce the speed limit and the drunk driving laws.

For me it is more fun to buy an old sled, tear it down, find the parts and make it into a usable sled than it is to buy a brand new sled and make payments on it when it sits on the trailer waiting for some snow. Last few years we have not had much snow and hardly enough for a good trail ride. Hope this year is better.

P.S. next time I will be sure to check in with you to make sure my opinions meet with your approval. I think it's great that we have someone on here who will make sure we all only post comments that are related to the topic at hand.

I'm outta here!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 10:10:46 AM by jimvw57 »

gixxer6

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 02:05:25 PM »
sorry, I just don't get it.. why mess up a perfectly good Kawasaki, or for that matter,  a newer sled?? If you want more suspension, get a newer sled. If you like the looks and everything else, get a Kawasaki...

I guess some people have too much time on their hands. Best of luck!!

Let me explain: 
 1.  I wouldn't mess up a "perfectly good Kawasaki", I'd start with one of the thousands of 79' Invaders that are out there that don't run.  I would never do this to one of my good running Kawasaki's.
2.  I wouldn't mess up a newer sled (or jet ski), I'd pick up a motor from one that was already wrecked. 
3.  I have a newer sled.  And yes, I do like the looks (among other things) of the Kawasaki's. 
4.  I don't have "a" Kawasaki, I have 7.  But I'm addicted, so why not another one with a 750 jet ski motor that will not just keep up with the newer sleds, but pass them...

And as far as having too much time on my hands?  Unfortunately, yes I do.  Here in northern Michigan, we get 3 months of good summer, 2 months of ride-able snow...  What the heck am I supposed to do with other 7 months???    :)

Dandb7

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 06:59:21 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm new to the site and already enjoy what i'm hearing...!!

As for mysely, if it's vintage, if it was fast then and still is by today's standards....don't mess with it and keep it as stock as possible.....just like 60 and 70's musclecars....

Creating Frankenstein's is ok....as long as you don't take away weell needed and rare parts for the other folks that keep the ''old sled' passion alive...!

Take care and let it snow  ;D

Dan
1982 Kawasaki Interceptor 550 #558
1979 Kawasaki Drifter 440
1989 Arctic Cat Pantera 440
2012 Arctic Cat F1100 Turbo 50th Anniversary 2015 Arctic Cat Lynx 2000

Shawn

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 12:32:20 PM »
Whenever the thought of building a vintage Kawasaki that can outperform a modern performance sled crosses my mind I decide the cost and effort are more than I'm willing to spend. Just me. If I could complete such a project ? It would be Kawasaki powered with a triple like the one Billy G put together. Getting it all to fit under the hood would be the main obstacle. The prototype '83 models with pogostick IFS mandate I would graft on Yamaha parts. Numerous rear skids with long travel could be made to fit. Basically a lifted Invader with added suspension travel and an extra 35 - 40 horsepower. This might be able to run with the big dogs ?