Author Topic: Vari-ride shocks  (Read 10497 times)

booblover

Vari-ride shocks
« on: January 01, 2014, 06:14:15 PM »
Just finished removing my hyfax from my skid. Hit my shin and my hand with the hammer. Felt awesome. I have not been able to find a source for my rear shock. Anyone out there know a part number, a cross reference, or where I can find one?

I also found that the aluminum rails were cracked at the beginning of the curve at the front of the skid. Is this common? Should I worry about it and get it fixed?

BornagianKawi

Re: Vari-ride shocks
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 06:45:28 PM »
Got 2 gas shocks for my vari-rides, 1 on 81 LTD and 1 on 81 Invader. Call Bob at Image. 715-479-7427.

gixxer6

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 07:19:47 PM »
Kimpex 04-269 is a real nice gas shock. 

booblover

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 04:59:28 PM »
Going to order the shocks and sliders from image. I have more questions. I pulled my drive shaft to shim the outer idlers in order to put a new style track in. I have read on this site that 1/8" is all that is required. In reality, the space is about 3/4". Also, the locking collars on both ends of the shaft were broken. Not sure if the collars will fit with the idlers spaced that far out. Also, I found where my vibration was coming from. Bad bearing on clutch side. What is my best bet for finding that bearing. Image?

kawhead

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 07:08:21 PM »
should be a common bearing.....put many a hose clamp on to locate those collars...

booblover

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 08:08:57 AM »
found the bearing. it is a common part. got it at the local auto parts store. I paid $13 for it. I could have ordered one for 5 plus shipping, but it was worth the extra few bucks to have it right away. plus, it is a Federal-Mogul bearing with steel seals, so I know it is good.

Are tracks directional? I have not given the new one a good for look for arrows yet, but if I could run it opposite the direction it has been worn in, I figure it will grip better.

gixxer6

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 08:30:48 AM »
The stock saw tooth tracks are directional.  They are installed so they'll grip better when stopping.  However, I've heard of others reversing them, but I don't recommend this. 

booblover

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 10:05:14 AM »
ill just run it in the direction of the arrow. As expected, I have found an issue with spacing the outer idlers on the driveshaft as far out as they need to go. I do not have enough room to slide the shaft towards the clutch so I can get the splined end in the chaincase. I have read that some people just remove the outer idlers. I feel like this will put a lot of stress on the shaft and bearings. I have also read that people only space the idlers 1/8". Mine needed 11/16" to clear the outer lugs on my track. Is this just the track that I am using? Its seems as though any track with outer drive lugs would be the same. Any suggestions? Gixxer6, I read that you were able to space the idlers on the drive shaft, and not remove them. did you remove your chaincase to slide it through?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:57:58 AM by booblover »

booblover

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »
OK. I pulled my chaincase so I could re-install the driveshaft with both idler wheels on it. I figured I would clean it up and inspect the seals while it was apart. The bearings both seem ok, but it would be nice to change them all out while it is apart. I am placing an order for parts this week, but I cannot seem to find any of the chaincase bearings or seals. I have been having the worst time finding parts lately. Anyone have part numbers for these parts?

Oh yah one more question. Can either side of the chain tensioner pads be used. Mine are a little worn on one side, but the other side looks like it is the same shape, and it is no worn. I could spin them and they would be brand new again.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:55:11 PM by booblover »

gixxer6

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 07:30:36 AM »
ill just run it in the direction of the arrow. As expected, I have found an issue with spacing the outer idlers on the driveshaft as far out as they need to go. I do not have enough room to slide the shaft towards the clutch so I can get the splined end in the chaincase. I have read that some people just remove the outer idlers. I feel like this will put a lot of stress on the shaft and bearings. I have also read that people only space the idlers 1/8". Mine needed 11/16" to clear the outer lugs on my track. Is this just the track that I am using? Its seems as though any track with outer drive lugs would be the same. Any suggestions? Gixxer6, I read that you were able to space the idlers on the drive shaft, and not remove them. did you remove your chaincase to slide it through?

It's been a few years since I did this.  I don't recall.  I know I had the chain case off while restoring the sled, but I'm not sure if I had it off while installing the drive axle. 

Interceptor398

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 08:04:55 AM »
I took the bearings and seal from my 4/6 chain case to our Napa store and he had them in stock.  He measured them, found them in the book and as luck would have it he had them.

kawhead

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 09:18:13 AM »
you weren't able to let the idler loose on the shaft till you had it in then locate it before suspension install? you can flip the tension blocks over,no prpblem.

booblover

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 03:12:48 PM »
I guess if I had used locking collars on both sides of the idler that would have worked fine. I actually just cut new bigger spacers, similar to the ones that were there. I figured that they helped to keep the cogs where they were, seeing how everything was clamped together on each end with those aluminum lock collars.

kawhead

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 09:20:05 AM »
i understand and you are correct....i do see a lot of collars break, anybody found anything better?

gixxer6

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 11:15:21 AM »
On my Invader, I replaced them with stronger steel collars that I picked up from my local bearing/seal shop.  Both clamps are loose on the 4/6 that I am working on.  Not having to pull the drive axle yet, I installed hose clamps on the outside of the broken clamps.  I'm not sure if it will hold.  I haven't had it running yet to try it... 

I did think about trying a small muffler clamp, the kind with a u-bolt.  But I haven't tried it.