Author Topic: Waconia 2014  (Read 13823 times)

Interceptor398

• Administrator
Re: Waconia 2014
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 06:50:52 AM »
My 82 Intruder likes to kill the battery also, due to the switch plate note holding the pin in far enough to turn off the brake light.  Need to fix that some day.

sprocket

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 08:17:19 AM »
Hmmm I seem to miss you guys I was parted right next to the drag race fence saturday got to drive around a little bit have a Porkchop and see some others stuff in the swap meet but never got to talk with many people including the Kawasaki guys

JDmatt

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 08:57:59 PM »
Just a note about when John Deere was featured: Jesse Babler made it happen.  He didn't just float the idea to the committee, he also had to serve on the committee, organize all the Deere features, promote the event, etc.  He put a lot of leg work into winning the support of the people in charge, and actually making the event a success.  JD  would not been featured if it wasn't for his work.  They may need someone in the Kawasaki fandom to step up.
Matt
www.JDsleds.com - John Deere Snowmobiles
www.newbreedparts.com - New parts for John Deere & Kawasaki Snowmobiles

jimvw57

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2014, 12:37:58 AM »
Good information!!  Thanks!!

Macs80hp440

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 06:14:56 PM »
They may need someone in the Kawasaki fandom to step up.

Great thought.  Who will it be?  I'm a new guy to this Kawi stuff, but I have a deep appreciation for the old sleds.  I'll yield to those more senior than me to talk it up.  Rupp is already picked for 2015, so I guess we better start the discussion soon for 2016, yes?

QUICK STORY:  I met a guy on the trails last week while riding my fresh rebuilt Invader and '77 SST.  He was a vintage collector and member of a local vintage club.  We had a great conversation, but one thing he said got to me.  He acknowledged the engineering and performance of the Invader but boldly said "nothing compares to a Yamaha" as he pointed to the SnoJet SST.  He said "Kawi motors are just way too finicky and trouble to be worth anything, that is why they are so cheap and nobody wants them".

I didn't respond, but I wondered- couldn't that be said for almost all old motors and carbs?  I mean I grew up with a Scorpion and Walbro carb that was more trouble than it was worth...And by the way, the sled he was riding was a modern Polaris, not a Yamaha...

Anyway- the point is, Let's get Kawi at Waconia and make some noise.
--------------------------------------------
'73 Scorpion Super Stinger 440 (White - 2nd Owner)
'78 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'79 Invader 440 (rebuild)
'77 Sno Jet SST 440 (2nd Owner)
'76 Rupp Rally

sprocket

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2014, 05:42:13 AM »
Just a note about when John Deere was featured: Jesse Babler made it happen.  He didn't just float the idea to the committee, he also had to serve on the committee, organize all the Deere features, promote the event, etc.  He put a lot of leg work into winning the support of the people in charge, and actually making the event a success.  JD  would not been featured if it wasn't for his work.  They may need someone in the Kawasaki fandom to step up.
when you say promote Kawasaki what do you think Trucker has done for years ? Jesse knew for a fact that Kawasaki was helping John Deere. I find it funny that us Kawasaki guys has stepped up to the plate helped out so many people including other brands that ran Kawasaki engines to get denied at a show. Jesse could of split the show with Kawasaki that would of been one heck of a show. I don't think just a Kawasaki show at waconia will have a big show not trying too piss anyone off but this size of show costs huge money to put on something I don't have laying around anytime soon. As for stepping up I raced my sled for 7yrs at ice ovals not too many people stepping up for that is there wonder why oh yeah cost you think ?. Next year is another year can't wait to debue my new builds they will be interesting.

kawhead

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2014, 08:23:15 AM »
i'd also say you would need a kaw sled/ kaw powered sled event with deere and cat....and it takes a ton of time to set this kind event up....and i can't wait to see sprockets new stuff :) :D

jimvw57

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2014, 08:43:36 AM »
Waconia started out as a few hour event outside the local bar back about 25 years ago and has evolved into what you see now. It all takes time and patience.  I believe a lot of the choice as to what sled to feature is driven by what will bring the most sleds and give people what they want to see.

sprocket

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 05:45:02 AM »
True I was there 25yrs ago so I do know how it started

jimvw57

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 07:41:37 AM »
As I recall, I was mostly pushing a Karmen Ghia to the trailer ...

greeno

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2014, 10:11:01 AM »
Macs80hp440 - FYI the 2015 theme is Polaris and Cat according to the flyer.  www.mwvss.com
80 Intruder
74 Golden Ghost
94 Cougar

JDmatt

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2014, 07:27:45 PM »
when you say promote Kawasaki what do you think Trucker has done for years ? Jesse knew for a fact that Kawasaki was helping John Deere. I find it funny that us Kawasaki guys has stepped up to the plate helped out so many people including other brands that ran Kawasaki engines to get denied at a show. Jesse could of split the show with Kawasaki that would of been one heck of a show. I don't think just a Kawasaki show at waconia will have a big show not trying too piss anyone off but this size of show costs huge money to put on something I don't have laying around anytime soon. As for stepping up I raced my sled for 7yrs at ice ovals not too many people stepping up for that is there wonder why oh yeah cost you think ?. Next year is another year can't wait to debue my new builds they will be interesting.

I have no idea what discussions have been made in the past with Trucker and Waconia - I'm just passing along what I've heard that worked.   The Kawasaki-powered idea seems like it would be a no-brainer, lots of people & sleds included in that case.  I'm not sure why you seem to be offended that Kawasaki wasn't bundled with Deere.  They were two very different manufacturers aside from the contracted engines. 
Matt
www.JDsleds.com - John Deere Snowmobiles
www.newbreedparts.com - New parts for John Deere & Kawasaki Snowmobiles

jimvw57

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 01:02:27 AM »
They have in the past included sleds made by one manufacturer with a different name on them. This year was Yamaha and Yamaha powered sleds.

I can understand why they did not say John Deere and other sleds with John Deere motors since they used not only Kawasaki but other motors over the years.

sprocket

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 06:36:33 AM »
Jdmatt I am not sure about Trucker talking with the group from Waconia but at that time all (the board from waconia) May have talked about it or not, we can't change it now so let's look forward for next year

jimvw57

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 09:07:10 AM »
I agree with Sprocket.  It is what it is. I just attend and have a good time, volunteer what I can.